SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nathaniel_puyau

New heat pump install questions

Nathaniel Puyau
7 years ago

I've been having a few companies give me estimates to replace a 17+ yr Trane heat pump system. The existing system has a 4 ton condenser and 5 ton air handler. I'm not the original owner, but I assume this 5 ton was installed to push more air to an added on region of the house in the back corner (house is approx 2300sqft).
Company A took a look at the existing system and simply recommended systems similar: 4 ton condenser and 5 ton air handler. Company B recommended a system where BOTH the condenser and air handler were 4 tons each. This company (B) also went up into the attic and said that my plenum was smaller than necessary (10x20) to push that amount of air and it creates a build up of static (or negative? can't remember wording) pressure, which is probably why that newer house addition has hot spots.
Does this sound right? Unfortunately the rafters bordering the plenum are only 10" wide, so Company B said they'd only be able to expand/create a box a few inches wider (in the other direction of the rafters), but that would give another 400 CFMs.
So I suppose my questions are:
1) Should I look into getting a larger plenum (as big as possible given the constraints) REGARDLESS of the heat pump system I choose?
2) Would expanding the plenum change the necessary size of a new air handler? So instead of a 5 ton only a 4 ton would be needed?
3) Would a 5 ton be overkill or even more efficient/powerful with the larger plenum?
Thanks so much for all the help.

Comments (23)