SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
old_skool

Lights don't work: please review my 3-way wiring

old_skool
16 years ago

I am trying to finalize all the wiring and plumbing that is in-wall before everything starts to come together.

I am having a problem where my 3-way dimmer switch is not working that controls my under cabinet lighting.

I have checked the circuit breaker and it has power at the panel. The wire goes to a junction box where I have the over the sink pendant light wire tied in. There is power at the junction box.

Then the wire goes to the main dimmer control. It is a Lutron Maestro dimmer. There is a main dimmer and an accessory dimmer.

According to the wiring diagram in the box that came with the dimmer, I am supposed to connect the two brass screws (neutral) and the two blue screws (3-way). Then supply power to the black screw (common) on one of the dimmers and then connect the black wire from the black screw on the other dimmer to the lights. Then connect the white neutral wire from the lights to the white neutral wire of the power supply wire.

However, I was going by a slightly different setup based on the Black & Decker Complete Guide to Home Wiring.

This is the recommended wiring setup:

I am getting power to the outlet, but the dimmer itself does not register power, neither does the accessory dimmer.

Obviously this wiring diagram does not work. Can you recommend an alternative option?

Comments (10)