SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottek_gw

Quality of CURRENT Andersen and their Woodwright

scottek
15 years ago

Hi Folks...

I've been stringing my poor contractor along for a year, trying to pick out the right window for replacing 17 double-hungs in our historical home. The major historical requirement in our district is to have external grids and keep the original exterior trim, neither of which are hard to meet. Also, my personal preference is to have white WOOD interior. And I need replacements rather than full-frame. My budget is $18k.

I've looked at many windows, and recently had a false-start with Kolbe and Kolbe when I found out I'd been quoted for standard sizes rather than the custom size we provided, putting us way over budget.

My contractor finally quoted me for the Pella 850 series from Lowes, which was not his first (or fourth) choice but was well within budget. I went to look at that window and also the Andersen Woodwright 400 (450?) from Home Depot. The Andersen seemed clearly better to me in terms of quality of workmanship, etc. Just my impression from the display, but I did look each over very carefully. I actually LIKED the Andersen, so I got a quote for them from my contractor. A little over budget but workable.

Then I made the mistake of doing additional research, and I ran across a large cluster of people--mostly installers--claiming all kinds of problems with Andersen, both the hardware and the company.

Question: how is Andersen NOW (not how were they in 2006 or 1996,) and how are these Woodwright 400/450 windows? They really looked good to me, but I have no way of judgin longevity of seals and things like that.

Sorry for the novella...thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments (3)