SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pennymca

Need replacement windows. and door..help, please..

pennymca
15 years ago

I live in a late seventies ranch style house that has six 36 x 72" windows across the front of the house. The house is oriented toward the SSW. Previous owners had put single glazed storm windows over the single glazed windows many years ago but there is no telling how big some gaps might be between them and the windows.

The action of the heat build up on the windows has caused nearly all the glazing to buckle and pop and it is just simply time to replace them.

We don't have a lot of shade on the front of the house and the heat can be pretty bad (west central Alabama) in the summer. No porch or overhang, either. Even in the winter, when the sun is low, the door is affected negatively because the door handle gets very hot behind the storm door over the door.

I've been reading the threads and some of the horror stories about replacement windows and some of the brands that have caused problems. (As well as the installation probs and what to look for.) I'm now totally confused, which only puts off the decision making even more.

I'm worried about vinyl due to the harshness of the exposure. I would like little to no maintenance for them and also need them to be very insulative, again, due to the exposure.

Would fiberglass be better than vinyl?

Aluminum clad wood?

Triple glazed low E?

TIA for any pointers or help you can give...recommended brands welcomed.

Comments (3)