SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my3sons1_gw

Grandparents favoring one grandchild

my3sons1
16 years ago

I have three sons, the oldest (9) is actually my step-son but his mother is not an active part of his life and I have accepted and love him as my own. My husband and I have two sons together, they are 3 and 2. We have been together for 5 years. My husband's parents favor the oldest over the younger ones. I understand that they were a very active part of his life when my husband was a single father so there is a special bond there. It is just very hurtful to see them openly favor the older one and reject the others. They will only be involved with the others after we bring up the issue of them not having a bond with them. However, they will ask for our older son two to three times per week and for camping trips, etc. They are into horses and things that are a little more difficult to have a younger child participate in. My MIL will state that they just don't fit into their lifestyle right now. I don't expect them to change their lifestyle, I would just like if once a month or even less they could take a day or afternoon and do something that does "fit" for a two and three year old. Our two years old doesn't notice the difference yet, and we didn't really feel the need to do anything until the three year old asks why he can't go and requests to see them. I feel it is not only damaging to the younger ones, but also the older one because he feels as if he is the favorite and doesn't have to follow the rules or boundaries set as they don't enforce anything when he is with them. We have sat down and talked about it, we have written her letters and the response is always that "It is just a fact of life that they don't fit into our lifestyle and will more when they are older. They just need to learn to accept that." My MIL even went so far as to say that after school starts back up and the oldest is in school she will try to spend a little more one on one time with the others, but her summer is for the oldest. We are considering writing a letter and explaining our concerns but also setting boundaries we feel are acceptable that will be a little more fair to all of our children and still have her as a part of their lives. I truly desire an amicable resolution that will allow them to all have a great relationship with each other.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012