SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gman_2007

electric trouble shooting

gman_2007
17 years ago

Hello. I am new to the message board and this website and would appreciate a little assistance with a small problem.

I have a dimmer switch controlling a recessed light that accents our fireplace. The switch is a clear plastic toggle that lights up orange. Recently the light in the toggle went out, and the fixture does not work. The toggle is in a two gang box beside a three way switch for a different set of fixtures. I do have some knowledge of electric and wanted to replace the toggle switch. I removed the cover to pull the bad switch to see it prior to purchasing a new one. As I pulled the switch, the ground wire (bare copper) came in contact with neighboring three way switch. This obviously popped the breaker as I didn't turn the breaker off. (I know, but wasn't planning on doing any work, just wanted to see the switch) Anyway, put the switch back and reset the breaker, but the two fixtures controlled by the three way switch do not work. There is power into the gang box and power to the three way switch. I thought perhaps the arc damaged the three way toggle, so I replaced it, still no lights. Checked the bulbs in the two fixtures, they are ok. Other fixtures and outlets on this circuit are working fine.

Any thoughts to the problem? I could use some help.

Thank you,

G

Comments (3)