SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
labradoodlelady

impact resistant double hungs

labradoodlelady
18 years ago

I've been talking with my contractor about getting impact resistant windows and seem to be running into some resistance.

Even though we live on an island that's been hit pretty badly in the past by hurricanes, he's unfamiliar with this product, and so is relying on his usual suppliers for information. They are telling him that, first, these are the same as any other laminated glass window, and second, that double hung impact resistant windows are too heavy to work properly.

The good news is that he's going to give me the specs so I can price them myself online, but before doing so, I'd like to see if there really is a problem with getting impact resistant windows (hopefully to meet the Dade county regulations even though I live in Hawaii) in the double hung configuration. He said something about they're too heavy to move up and down properly. Interestingly, when I first started researching hurricane windows several months ago, nobody was offering double hungs, but now I see several companies are.

Oberon, I hope you're out there, because I know you're the expert on this!

I'd also appreciate any input at all on pros and cons of different brands (marvin vs pella vs andersen vs pgt, at least those are the ones I've found so far) and possible sources to buy them online. My contractor works with a sourcing company on the west coast, but I have a feeling that means they get them and then put their mark up on before selling to him. Whether I can get any better deal myself I don't know, but I would at least like to make sure I'm getting what I want! I can't believe the supplier is actually telling my contractor to just cut pieces of plywood for my windows!!!

Sorry for the grumbling..........

Summer

Comments (8)