SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rileysmom17

impact resistance vs heat transfer

rileysmom17
16 years ago

Hi Oberon are you there? I have read all your hurricane-related posts. I am building a house on St. John in the Virgin Islands. Impact resistant glass is the only way to go. Central cooling is still rare on the island (get naked, let the breeze cool you is the lifestyle), but with the emergence of insulated concrete form construction it is more feasible from a utility-cost perspective. However there is very little knowledge among local contractors about heat transfer with single-lite windows, the scariest response to my question being "anything is possible with money if that's what you want". I read on one post that laminated glass blocks 99% of UV. In terms of heat transfer to the interior, how would a typical single-lite impact resistant window compare to a Schuco double-lite argon filled window (which I have a house full of and understand). PS I hope I am using the term 'lite' correctly to mean 'pane of glass'. PPS as regards extreme heat, salt, and storm weather, the locals say "we laugh at Florida".

Comments (4)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012