SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeownersue

Installers used non-paintable caulk for exterior

Despite assurances that paintable caulk would be used, my replacement window installer installed with what I believe to be non-paintable silicone caulk on the exterior (I believe the interior is in fact paintable--I've started doing some paint touch up--so far, the paint seems to be "taking" where I am covering their caulk). The problem on the exterior is that most of the windows have wood trim--and so need to be painted periodically. So, I am going to have a problem when it is time to paint--and since the installers were in a big hurry to finish by the time they did the exterior caulking, it is messy in places (so I can't just "paint around" the caulk lines). This is obviously going to be a problem next time I paint. Here are my questions: would a painter simply cut out that caulk and recaulk to paint the wood? Is that going to present a problem for the windows? They are, of course, screwed into the framing of the house so I'm not worried about something like windows falling out or anything. Is recaulking going to be expensive? I know that a good exterior painter will repair and recaulk as needed before painting, so it seems like this will add to the workload. This is just one of many things have have gone wrong with the installation--window company has lied about quite a few things, and their approach is to insist they never told me things they lied about, or lecture me that "this is how it is done". Before I head for the Better Business Bureau and the state contractor licensing commission, I thought perhaps I should try to get an idea about how much it is going to cost me to correct. Any insights would be most welcome. Thanks....

Comments (8)