SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pristin

Rheostat for a 11000 watt kitchen blender

pristin
12 years ago

I am trying to adapt a KITCHEN BLENDER (like a Waring Blender) for use in a small laboratory where we develop TOPICAL creams. The low speed on the blender is TOO HIGH for making the cream and it destroys the cream matrix. I was wondering if I can hook up a RHEOSTAT to do this. Please help answering and also the kind of Rheostat I should use. Thanks

Comments (5)

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

The few blenders I have inspected closely have a "universal" motor which does work properly with a rheostat. The power to that motor is through the controls on the blender. But the controls on the blender may not work properly with the output from any external control device.
    Your post cannot be correct on the wattage.
    A rheostat is a variable resistor and simply wastes the unused electricity as heat- a crude way to do it. Using a variable transformer directly to the motor, bypassing the original controls, is a much better way. Running the motor at slower speeds risks overheating no matter how the speed control is accomplished.

• Ron Natalie
    12 years ago

If it has a universal motor any of the drill/router speed control

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9410-20-Amp-Router-Control/dp/B001NIK6PC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_2

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

If the blender already has a speed control it is not going to work well with another control feeding it.

• Ron Natalie
    12 years ago

Just set the blender at MAX speed and it should be ok.

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

There is proper laboratory equipment that will do what you need. Check for paddle mixers and homogenizers of various types. You can probably find a used one for a good price if you shop around. You may well get lucky on ebay. I get some lab equipment there.