SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexsha_gw

2 Issues - tripping breaker, broken neutral

Alexsha
11 years ago

I have 2 separate issues that I'm looking for some opinions on. Each is on a separate circuit.

1) GFCI circuit. Outlets in main floor bathroom, entire upstairs bathroom, single outside outlet.

A while back I was getting random trips on this circuit and traced the issue to water getting into the outside outlet. Removed the outlet and capped the wires, sealed it up and no more issue. I'm trying to now replace the outlet and install a weather proof as I'd like to plug in the block heater on my truck. When I replaced the outlet and plugged in the heater (it should be somewhere between 650 and 1000 watts), it trips the breaker. I can plug this into other circuits without issue. I tried removing the outlet and plugging the cord into an inside outlet on the GFCI circuit and it still trips. Is the breaker going bad? It's 20A and there wasn't anything else running on the circuit at the time. The only other thing I can think of would be a wiring fault, but the fault tester I have shows no issue and I can use the lights and outlets without issue otherwise.

2) I have another outside outlet on a different circuit that is also having issue. It gets current on the hot/black wire, but the neutral seems to be disconnected.

This outlet is wired into a non-GFCI circuit. 2 inside outlets, 1 single box outside light, 1 pair of outside lights, a ceiling fan on a 3-way switch, and the outside outlet in question. Everything else on the circuit is running correctly. The outlet SEEMS to be wired to a 3 gang switch box. There are 2 red/black/white/ground cables and 2 black/white/ground cables in the box. By what I can tell, the 1st r/b/w/g cable is the primary hot, and neutral, and also runs to the 2 box outside light. The 2nd r/b/w/g cable runs to the ceiling fan 3/way. One of the b/w/g cables goes to the single outside light, and the other goes to I don't know. I would assume the outside outlet uses this line, but that outlet only get current on the hot if the 3-way ceiling fan is connected. What should I be looking for here?

Comments (6)