SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mykoco

Need Help with BF Teenage Daughter

mykoco
17 years ago

I have been dating a wonderful man for one year. He is 49 with an 18 year old daughter. I am 43 with no children. When we met he was very newly separated and his daughter was living with him almost exclusively. At the time she did not have a very good relationship with her mother. Due to the newness of the separation and issues his daughter has with dealing with stress etc we dated "in secret" for the first 6 months of our relationship. His daughter had no idea he was dating, she was told he was meeting friends or doing some other activity. As a result we got to see each other mostly on weekends when she was busy with friends or school activities but it was unpredictable and often disappointing when plans were broken. I was OK with this since we were just getting to know each other and I was sure that as time went by, and if our relationship progressed, we would deal with it. At the 6 month mark, during a casual conversation with her about dating in general, he finally confessed to her that he was dating a woman (me). Well she was furious and went ballistic and during the BFs planned weekend away a few days later she moved all her belongings from his house to her mothers. When he came home and found her gone he was devastated. They are very closer, much closer than mother/daughter, and he was very concerned. Within 2 weeks, after coaching from her therapist (she's been seeing one twice a week since 8th grade) she resumed her relationship with her father but it was tenuous at best for quite awhile. Needless to say any mention of me was strictly off bounds. She had no desire to acknowledge my existence and she didn't. So now, 6 months later things are not much better. I still have not met her. She claims she isn't "ready" for it. The BF comes to my house so we can see each other. I have been to his house exactly twice in one year. The first 5 or 6 months into our relationship when I insisted on seeing where he lived as it says a lot about a person. He "snuck" me in when he was sure she wouldn't surprise us. The second came awhile after when she was at school and he was in bed so sick he could not say no to my offer to come over for a few minutes to feed and medicate him. At this point, I am getting nervous about investing more time in a relationship where I haven't met a daughter who lives with him, who is #1 in his life, who is a huge part of his life. He has basically told me he doesn't think there is a chance I will meet her before she goes to college in September. I am not in any way jealous of her, nor do I resent the time he spends with her. I respect him for being a loving and involved parent. I know you can't force things and there are no rules about when you should or shouldn't meet the kids but I would love to hear from anyone who has had a similar situation. What do you think is reasonable in this situation? Am I being unreasonable?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH