SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vistajpdf

Keeping adult skids in our lives...

vistajpdf
16 years ago

As I joyfully reported, SD is moving in w/ her sister and sister's bf to our rental house. I am thrilled, but since things have improved since our April fight, I have a few questions.

I'd love to have the atmosphere that my parents had at their house for as long as I can remember. Every Sunday, Dad cooked out on the grill and Mom made side dishes and pretty much the whole family got together - my brother and I, our cousin who was raised by my parents, my g-father (passed away 2 sad years ago), and anyone else important to us. Sometimes it was neighbors who joined us when their houses weren't happy - my parents house was the sanctuary for two families who divorced, had moms w/ problems, etc. Other times, it was those any of us dated. Anyway, I'd love to have that same gathering at our house.

I'm trying to walk a fine line w/ my adult skids since the two SDs will be living very close to us w/ the one's bf. I don't want the type of arrangement where they barge in at all hours, raid our frig, use our work-out room as their private gym, use our pool all day on weekends, but I would like to have an established "Sunday" get together or something. I really want to be close w/o being taken advantage of.

I really don't want to open a can of worms, but I don't know exactly how to say that I'd love Sundays (or another time convenient to all) to be a day when they're all welcomed to plop in on us, swim, eat, etc. w/o sounding like they can't have keys to the house. They can keep the keys, it doesn't matter, but I would like the same courtesy given to me that I will give to them. I won't be going over to their house (we own it, they will be renters) unannounced, and while I don't think they shouldn't ever feel free to stop by, I worry that they'll become people like my brother (goes to my parents to do his grocery shopping!)

Any suggestions about setting boundaries, but still having a relaxed atmosphere? I want them to be close to my young sons, but since my boys are young, they have schedules to remain on, esp. once school begins.

Dana

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County