SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rkb21_gw

Opinions on bids Part2

rkb21
11 years ago

Hi, everyone! I'm back. Thanks again to ALL of you for your help and input during this crazy, crazy journey into window replacements!

I think we've decided that we aren't going to do vinyl windows, mostly b/c of the aesthetics. I was really torn and I am still a little bit.

A few things I also found out: our current windows are Crestline, neighbors said that's what the builder used and the Andersen rep recognized them as such. Our patio doors are measured for 2x4 walls and ours are 2x6 so that's why we have the extra buildout to the trim and the blinds can sit inside the frame.

Anyway, moving forward with the wood window choices...

Marvin:
2 5ft sliding door/transom units [tear out]
1 9ft sliding door/transom unit [tear out]
5 DH units [inserts, 32x71]

Windows:Clad Ultimate, LoE 366 w/Argon, with grilles
Doors: Clad Sliding Patio Doors
$16,950, installed price

Andersen E series:
Same exact set up as above with SmartSun loE 366 w/Argon
Eseries French sliding doors/transom units [tear out]
E series DH inserts [Woodrights were about $90/per window more]
$15,000, installed price

We ruled out Kolbe b/c of price.

So, I was given a consensus by both companies that the sliding patio doors would need to be a tear out and transoms replaced. They THINK they could re-use the shutters and blinds on the patio doors but no guarantee.

A few questions:
1. Thoughts on E series vs 400 woodrights?
2. Marvins vs Andersens at these prices?
3. What can I do to ensure that the opening sizes of the patio doors remain the same to ensure that I can reuse the blinds and shutters?

I truly do appreciate all of your help. I hope that I haven't tired all of you out with all of my questions b/c now I'm near the finish line :)

Thanks and looking forward to hearing opinions from the experts!

Comments (15)