SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ed_and_mary_84

In-wall Wiring For Low Voltage Undercabinet Lights

ed_and_mary_84
17 years ago

We are in the process of doing a major addition which includes a kitchen. Our contractorÂs electrician has done all of the wiring so far but I plan to add low voltage under cabinet lighting (SeagullÂs low voltage linear system) in the kitchen myself. Based on a total of 45 bulbs at 10W each (24 V) I'm using a 500W single output transformer. Because of windows, the exhaust hood, etc. I need 6 runs back to the transformer so the current in the runs is only 3 to 5 amps depending on the number of lights in each section. The transformer will be located in the basement directly below the kitchen and the run lengths vary from about 10 to 20 feet.

I have read in other threads that you must use romex behind the walls, but IÂd like to avoid having to put boxes in the cabinets to connect to SeagullÂs low voltage wire. The LV wire is 10AWG so it is more than adequate to use all the way to the transformer. However itÂs not rated to run through combustible material. Tech support at Seagull tells me that they sell a UL listed, fire retardant sleeve (part no. 9431-94) for their LV cable for situations where it penetrates walls and sent me a data sheet. I would need to cover about only about 5 feet of each low voltage cable with the sleeve because it runs straight down to the basement. Is this safe? Is an installation like this likely to pass inspection?

Comments (2)