SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jordieo_gw

Discussing Medical Concerns

jordieo
15 years ago

I have to ask for a bit of advice. I have a 7 year old SS and am dealing with a mother that is well-educated, but seems to be naive and nonchalant about many issues. She's a people/husband pleaser and is quite content at home with the kids (my SS, her SS, and her new baby) and I can hear her little voice in my head now letting them do anything they want. My DH is great and is supportive on both ends and I believe we are both having concerns about his son and his health. This is unrelated, but he has to have a cavity filled soon and DH expressed concern with his ex and her answer was, "Well I ate a lot of sugar too when I was a kid." Right... and your mouth is full of caps and fillings.

Anways, my SS is ALWAYS tired. He's been taking naps on a daily basis as most kids do (birth to starting school), but comes home from school or his mom's house now and sleeps the afternoon/early evening away. He has an early bedtime and sleeps until a normal time in the morning. I know he is a boy and runs around and plays but even on Saturdays mid-day his eyes start drooping and he gets VERY cranky. It's just hard sometimes to even have a good day with him because he is so out of it. Overall he is a great kid, very smart and very loving. But when he is tired- watch out and don't even try reasoning with him.

I know we can work on his diet to try to increase the nutrients he is getting, and I have considered anemia or even diabetes. How in the heck do I talk about his with his mother? We do not cover him with health insurance because that was part of their divorce agreement. I have copies of his insurance cards- should I just take him myself? We would pay any out of pocket expenses. I've considered taking him to my allergy doctor and getting him tested for everything. I just don't think he should be this tired all of the time. Sure he can bounce out of bed wide awake but he crashes easily.

Comments (7)