SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

medical OPINIONS welcome

foodonastump
last year

My son appears to be having a reaction to amoxicillin. Rash covering his whole body including face. Been taking it since Thursday night, timeline checks out with what I'm seeing online. No itch or discomfort, purely physical, doctor has told him to continue the amoxicillin as long as it remains this way.

Problem is, he's in Europe with his grandfather, and this is on course to ruin the short vacation. I gave him my blessing to quit the amoxicillin. Sinus infection, I figure he can deal with it when he gets back if he needs to. Pharmacy didn't have Benadryl, gave him Zyrtec and a hydrocortisone cream.

I'm thankful that he feels ok, but he sent me a video and it's not good. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving home looking like that, now ask a kid to.

Really I'm just venting, as I feel helpless but I do have two questions:

Would anyone be handling this differently

Anyone know how long it should take the rash to go away after stopping the amoxicillin?

Comments (56)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Your son is reacting exactly like I react! With multiple antibiotics. I've been told I can take these things as long as I'm taking an antihistamine with them. So he could have stayed through the course with an antihistamine, or he could stop. If he's worried about bacteria building up resistance he could still restart it. It's not too late. I agree it's very very frustrating. Taking the drug, thinking you're going to get better and instead you get an additional thing to deal with. I've dealt with this so much that I'm actually a patient on record in the New England Journal of Medicine about this. If you email me I'll send you a link to the podcast.

• wildchild2x2
    last year

I became allergic to amoxicillin. I was told to stop it immediately. I think I was maybe 5 days in. My doctor told me that is why antibiotics are giving as oral meds these days. Back in the day many people died from penicillin shots. With oral meds you have a early warning that is not likely to be deadly.

• Related Discussions

Pool/backyard reno plans - opinions welcome!

Q

Comments (1)
    Sorry what is it you are going to do DIY What does the kit do?
    ...See More

Welcoming opinions on my den layout

Q

Comments (5)
    really looks too tight in walk ways & in center between furniture. I can't visualize the "chaise" with the picture of couch you posted. Have you tried taping off floor for walkways around backs of furniture & also in center between the couches? Where can a person sit to see tv? One couch at right angle to TV & looking at bar, the other couch at right angle to that couch & view of TV blocked by people sitting on bar facing couch. Might have to empty the room to do the tape off but it would give you a better feel and visual of space allowance. Just feels too tight & with heavy furniture
    ...See More

kitchen layout advice - all opinions welcome

Q

Comments (16)
    Dining table is not yet purchased. But we have 12 chairs. Peninsula as island creates some difficulties with the existing cabinetry. We have a lazy Susan without anything to really replace that with on both walls. Living room - not sure. But switching the lazy Susan to that end also creates complications. Since these are secondhand and we are trying limit additional purchases it does create a puzzle and some challenges. However because it’s a small living room off the dining room in one space it’s almost like a big dining room with seating in the back. Sort of like the open space and symmetry of the doorways on each side of range. Pantry door - i suppose can be in hallway but seems to waste space where we were thinking about keeping our old fridge. Also it’s a bearing wall so more complex there as well. Ideally we’d get a pantry door to match other cabinets next to it that opens to the pantry but likely out of reach budget wise.
    ...See More

Advice/Opinions welcome on kitchen layout

Q

Comments (21)
    @User typically you don't want to prep over a dishwasher because that's an area typically used for cleaning dishes. Either people use it to stack dirty dishes to go into the DW or for clean dishes to dry. Your current kitchen would be better off moving everything over a bit so you had space between the sink & range to prep, which is the typical location for prep. Keep in mind we are adaptable and will adjust to whatever we need to in a kitchen, but that doesn't mean there isn't a better way. In my last house my DW was in my prep zone (between sink & range). It couldn't be open while I was prepping, so that meant no one could help in the kitchen (either doing cleanup or unloading a dishwasher - and I couldn't clean as I prepped) because the DW couldn't be open. Same goes with your layout. If you leave it to the left of the sink you can at least have it open while you cook - someone could empty it and not be in your way, or you can leave it open and drop prep tools in as you go. It's ease of function. In my current house, DW is out of the prep zone and the ease of use is SO much better. My kitchen is nearly cleaned up by the time I'm done cooking. Regardless, your prep space is too small, which means you will wash things at the sink and then have to bring them to the range counter to prep (over and over). Or you'll prep over your DW, or try to squeeze in the 18" section you have there. Neither of which are functional.
    ...See More
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

I had a massive reaction to Amoxycillin and I was immediately changed to another antibiotic. The rash and swelling went within a day. It is now on my records to never be given it again. But if your son has been seen by a doctor he should do what he is advised. What country is he in?

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    last year

Angelaid I appreciate your criticism but the way I figure it, if it were an allergic reaction he'd be taken off it so it's probably not the worst thing in the world to quit with it not being an allergic reaction. He's not a sickly kid, or wasn't until a couple whoppers this first year of college, so I'm not overly concerned about his supposed sinus infection. But anyway, after sending him Annie's link he went ahead and took tonight's dose. It's really just the timing that's got me not thinking right. His grandfather has been wanting to do this trip for years with him, and here we are.

Rob - Sorry to hear you have this issue, too, but happy that you have been told to take an antihistamine. I looked for contraindications and saw none, so figured it couldn't hurt.

I appreciate everyone's input!

• User
    last year

I'm severely allergic to all penicillin and penicillin derivatives that started from an overdose of amoxicillin given to me by a dentist during an elongated dental process. Knowing what I know now...and being physically prohibited from ever taking penicillin or any penicillin derivative again...I would be very concerned about your son taking it for a sinus problem. Personally...I'd stop it now and hope that it has no lasting aftereffects such as I've experienced.

Having lived outside of the States for an extended period of time...I, also, learned that non FDA regulated meds are often stronger than our USA versions.

You're right to be concerned FOAS.

ETA....I, also. was covered with the same rash your son is experiencing. Mine, eventually, became "itchy" but once I stopped taking the drug...it all went away.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

One thing I'd be concerned about if the meds are stopped is the sinus infection flaring up and the chance it would be hellish to deal with during an airplane flight back home. Sinus infections are miserable, so that would also be a real drag on a long anticipated vacation like this.

• Zoe 29
    last year

foodonastump - my son was so sick his first year of college, maybe even the second year. It was terrible. I guess all those kids coming from all over the country, bringing viruses. Hope your son and his grandfather have a good trip.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

"kids coming from all over the country, bringing viruses"

What? What does that mean exactly? Was your child in a bubble before? From what part do they have different exposures? Seriously? Or did you actually mean immigrants?

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

QUESTIONHow can you tell the difference between an allergic reaction to amoxicillin and the "amoxicillin rash"?ANSWER

This is a very common question. About 5-10 percent of children taking amoxicillin or Augmentin (which contains amoxicillin) will have a skin rash at some point while taking the medicine. Most of these rashes are because of viruses, not an allergic reaction (non-allergic).

A non-allergic rash typically has small spots, less than half an inch. They are in a symmetrical, widespread pattern that is sometimes raised. The rash usually appears five to seven days after starting amoxicillin. It typically appears on the chest, abdomen, back, and face. This type of rash usually goes away in three days but can last one to six days and it is not contagious.

Hives from an allergic immune reaction are very itchy, raised, and can change locations. These rashes usually last a week or longer. Hives would commonly be seen with a classic penicillin allergy reaction. Amoxicillin is an antibiotic in the penicillin family. Swelling can happen about half of the time. This can involve swelling of the skin, lips, and airway, which can cause concern. Also, these reactions can be very serious, and some cases can develop into anaphylaxis. This is a severe allergic reaction.

https://community.aafa.org/db/ask-the-allergist/record/am-i-having-an-allergic-reaction-to-amoxicillin-or-is-this-an-amoxicillin-rash#

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    last year

^^^ Neither describes what he's got. He just woke up and describes his face and neck as completely red with white spots. Where he seemed to be handling it well yesterday, he now sounds beside himself and I can't blame him.

• Zoe 29
    last year

No, I didn't mean immigrants. I just meant that it reminded me of when my kids first started school and caught colds all the time because they weren't exposed to so many people before. When they went to college, they were exposed to lots more people and in close quarters, so they seemed to get sick so much more. I don't think they were exposed to any crazy diseases, just more colds. I think we are all in sort of a bubble.

• maire_cate
    last year

Food - sorry to hear that your son isn't improving. You may want to check with your physician again before the weekend as to the best way to handle this. You could even share the video so that he can see the rash.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Since son is traveling and not running with anyone he knows I am sure his looks are not a huge issue right now. My adult daughter recently had a rash in response to an allergy medication, upon stopping the rash went away right away. Doctors know best is my 'rule' but in this case the doctor didn't SEE your son. Sinus infections can be nasty to get rid of so even if three days seems like nothing it's not. It could mean the difference between beating it or not. As long as someone is there with him, keeping an eye out I would follow docs advise. Allergic reactions and not to be taken lightly. They can go into anaphylaxis which is nothing to mess around with.

• Ninapearl
    last year

i'm sorry your son has to deal with this issue, especially when he shouldn't have a care in the world while on vacation. i do hope his trip home will be uneventful. a sinus infection and being in an airplane just don't go together well as the changes in altitude could be quite uncomfortable.

i was recently prescribed a 2 week course of doxycycline for an infected tick bite. the very day i started taking it, i noticed a LOT of muscle/joint pain, way more than usual. in looking up the side effects of this drug, i saw where that is a typical reaction. i thought i'd plow through it but after 10 days, i was so miserable that i stopped taking it as just getting up from my recliner and walking to the bathroom was excruciating and i have a pretty high pain threshold. that's been a week ago and i am just now beginning to feel less pain.

• Eileen
    last year

Could it be pityriasis versicolor?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

It'll clear up. Will take a couple of days. Based on my past experience with all antibiotics I've taken, save for Bactrim. Which oddly enough, most people have problems taking? I'm backwards. But then, you knew that 😉

That's my line of work. One size does not fit all. Personalized medicine is where we will help everyone in the way that works best for them.

• sjerin
    last year

Is your son using a neti pot or similar? This can be helpful. The water must be either boiled first or distilled to be safe.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    last year

Morz8, After developing a rash as a child, I was said to be allergic and should not take it again. Many years later while seeing an alergist I had him check it. Nope! Since it’s often the first choice of treatment, Im glad I found out..

• blfenton
    last year

If you told him to stop the antibiotic and he's flying home with a sinus infection that is going to be hell for him. I know that from experience.

• wildchild2x2
    last year

I think what needs to be considered in these posts is that a reactive rash in a child may be normal but not so much for an adult. From what I have read amoxicillin rash (not the allergy) is common in young children, not young and older adults.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    last year

We'll see how the sinuses are when he gets back, and deal with that and antibiotic choices as needed. Aside from a constant runny nose he hasn't complained much, didn't mention anything about plane ride there so hopefully back will be fine.

But more immediately, I'm thrilled to report that he's looking back to normal in just one day. Amazing how quickly this cleared up. Apparently he still has a rash on his body but his face and neck are good. Check this out - ONE day!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Yep. When I had a bad reaction to Amoxyxillin it went in a day or so once I stoped taking them. I am curious as to why or how a doctor prescribed antibiotics in the first place if he was not in pain. Was he previously suffering badly?

• maire_cate
    last year

oh Food! no wonder he was so upset. Glad to see he's improved so much.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

That is interesting, mdln. I'd discuss with my doctor, but thank you for weighing in - I had hoped you might.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, MDLN, that WAS interesting!

• P amelaIamela
    last year

Those photos are quite alarming, I'd make sure a note be placed in his medical file, citing an amoxicillin/penicillin allergic reaction. Going forward, I'd mention the incident when asked about ANY allergies/reactions to medications. Copies of those photos shared in his medical record would be helpful to the prescriber/pediatrician, for futher reference. Better to be safe than not.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Keep in mind that recent/emerging trends in research findings sometimes but not always point to changes in what's accepted best practices/knowledge in medicine. "Take until the supply has been fully used" remains the treatment standard for now, as far as I know.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

Right. Of course elmer knows more than those in the know. 🙄 I'm picking at you. But c'mon. I'd listen to an MD, when it comes to health. Finances, I might listen to you. Let the health questions go to healthcare experts?

• colleenoz
    last year

Hmm...looks like his lips swelled up as well.

• Olychick
    last year

Poor guy! That looks horrible. Glad it cleared up so quickly for him.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. Yes, Colleen, his whole face was puffy, esp his lips. And nose! I'll have to discuss this with the doctor at some point. I'm actually not sure if he's ever been on any antibiotics before. I don't have access to his chart anymore.

• wildchild2x2
    last year

That looks like a lot more than a rash. Facial swelling is a sign of an allergic reaction.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    last year

@wildchild2x2 - If you look at Zalco's post earlier on, it talks about the swelling as a symptom of severe allergic reaction but also says it'll be very itchy which it wasn't at all. Based on everything I've read so far, it seems it should be clear if this is an allergic or non-allergic reaction, but I'm not clear at all. See what doc says.

• wildchild2x2
    last year

May be itchy. Not will be itchy. You can have swelling without hives or a rash at all. My rash wasn't itchy. That fact I got a rash and was not a child for who it might be a common reaction was all the clue my doctor needed to advise me to stop the drug immediately.

Swelling can happen about half of the time. This can involve swelling of the skin, lips, and airway, which can cause concern. Also, these reactions can be very serious, and some cases can develop into anaphylaxis. This is a severe allergic reaction.

The above is what one would be concerned about. Not worth the risk, but it's just my opinion. There are plenty of alternatives to "cillins" these days. Why tempt fate?

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    last year

"Hives from an allergic immune reaction are very itchy"

"are". But your point is taken. Surely this seems more than a simple rash.

• PRO
    MDLN
    12 months ago

Weighing life threatening risk of anaphylaxis vs benefit of sinus infection (which is often viral) treatment with antibiotics, personally I'd immediately discontinue antibiotics.

To differentiate from rash, urticaria/hives are often slightly raised and blanch/turn white when pressed.

Swelling of oral mucosa/airway lips, mouth, tongue would cause me to seek IMMEDIATE pharmacological treatment.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 months ago

If he's already quit taking it, and he is taking an antihistamine.... isn't he already on the right path? And if not, isn't he some place that can help him?

• Elmer J Fudd
    12 months ago

Do ER docs typically treat sinus infections and have patient follow up? I wouldn’t have thought so.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Huh? Who's talking about going to the ER for a sinus infection?

My son stopped taking the antibiotics and whatever the reaction was subsided quickly. That's all I know. If he has any more signs of illness we'll deal with it when he comes home in a few days.

• jemdandy
    12 months ago

Never interrupt an antibiotic medication - Take the full prescribed time of dosage - Unless untoward circumstances warrant it such as a dangerous reaction, and then, that should be guided by the prescribing Doctor. The reason is this: To reduce the possibility of generating a resistant strain of the infection.

An Infectious disease may contain a spectrum of agents that are not alike, i.e., mutations and some of these may be more resistant to the medication. If the medication is stopped before the entire population is eradicated, the more resistant mutants remain and these can mutate again creating some that are more resistant than before. It is believed this is the process whereby strains of a disease resistant to the medication develops. As I understand it, the current policy is to continue an antibiotic medication long enough to insure wiping out all of the disease agent.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 months ago

When presented with updated peer reviwed information, from a physician, people don't believe it? I don't understand why. The scientific method requires constant challenges to previous processes. Opinions change over time, when the processes don't withstand the challenges.

We don't do blood letting anymore. Do you also want to go back to that?

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    12 months ago

It's a longish thread, Rob, I assumed she just skipped to the bottom or skimmed too quickly. I think this conversation has probably run its course!

• Elmer J Fudd
    12 months ago

" When presented with updated peer reviwed information, from a physician, people don't believe it? "

Articles and study results are produced in torrents. Accepted standards of care change slowly and are not usually influenced by onesie-twosie findings that may suggest different approaches can be taken . I don't know if this particular practice is evolving or not, but the doc I spoke with before making my comment above said that taking the full course of an antibiotic until used up is the advice typically given.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

What was that you said food?

P.S. elmer, part of the slow adoption problem can be physicians. You have any idea how long it took physicians to adopt take an aspirin for heart attack while waiting for the ambulance?

To answer your question, when you ask someone you know who is a physician, they can be slow in adopting. Doesn't mean it's right or wrong, but they could be behind the times. Or they were asked "Hey, isn't standard of care, currently XYZ?", "Why yes it is!". Who knows? You were doubling down on your answer, which may or may not be correct, but mostly was picking at me. As we both agree, Food is correct, 100%. So let's just say amen! (I was trying not to bump the thread ;)

• Elmer J Fudd
    12 months ago

" part of slow adoption problem elmer can be physicians. "

Who else but physicians are involved in assessing and evolving standards of practice?

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

There are two different ideas being needlessly commingled here:

One is that doctors are typically recommending to complete courses of antibiotics, and the reasoning behind this.

The other is that there appears to be newer evidence that this reasoning may be at least partially flawed.

The evidence from the newer studies does not change the fact that doctors are still prescribing full courses. Nor does the fact that doctors are still prescribing full courses negate the validity of the studies.

• Elmer J Fudd
    12 months ago

Well said.

• PRO
    MDLN
    12 months ago

In general, we're prescribing higher doses for a shorter duration these days.
    An infectious disease friend says about abx and pathogens, "when you use them, hit 'em hard, fast and knock 'em out."