SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helpwiththis

Question about custody

helpwiththis
15 years ago

This is not about me but about my cousin and her bf. She has been dating this guy for 2 years. He has one child from a previous relationship. Him and the bm were toxic together (drugs, etc.). They split up and she withheld visitation (not court ordered). He was not working and had no money so he figured he had to deal with it. She called on occasion when she needed a babysitter and then let him see the kid.

Well in the last few months he has heard about his ex using drugs again, she went to rehab, and then came back out and began using. Her family would not allow him to see the kid. Now the family called and had their own daughter arrested for stealing prescription meds from them and her friend had the kids (his kid and her older kid from another relationship). The friend called my cousins bf and dropped off both kids with him. Bf called ex's parents and they said "we will bring the kids to child services if you bring them to us".

So now he wants to take the kids. He does not want them going back to her when she gets out of jail.

I'm not defending him, because he should have been more involved in his childs life. He does not keep a steady job. But I imagine he is better than a mom who does drugs and ignores the kids.

What does he have to do to obtain temporary custody? Should he got to child services with the kids and talk to them about the situation??

Comments (3)