SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikgarden

My thoughts about weddings

mikgarden
19 years ago

I am in my 40's, in love with my girlfriend and we are happy together.

Isn't it difficult enough to find someone that you want to make a lifelong commitment to? After you have submitted to that enormous challenge, why do many then proceed to spend most of their life savings for an experience that lasts just part of one day?

I'm really talking about myself and many others who really cringe when you add up the expense of an engagement ring, a wedding ceremony and reception, and finally, a honeymoon.

I really want to know if anyone can identify with my situation. Regardless of the expense, I really want to buy a nice ring, and I also think that a memorable honeymoon would be worthwhile. However, I don't share the nostalgic, romantic notions about the wedding ceremony and reception that most women seem to value.

I feel frustrated because I want her to be happy, but some things (banquet hall reception, church ceremony) would contribute to making the wedding day a very miserable (and expensive) experience for me.

Has anyone heard of a priest blessing a marriage after a civil ceremony, for example?

I would like to do a civil ceremony and a very modest reception- maybe a dinner at a nice restaurant. And, then a honeymoon. Very simple.

I would appreciate your thoughts- thank you.

Comments (25)