SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

We'd Welcome your thoughts

azzalea
16 years ago

Background. We're 58, I'm a SAHM, DH is a blue collar worker. He can retire anytime, but hopes to work another 2-3 years. Our home here is paid off. Taxes are high, though (around $5000/year on a small home on a 40X100' lot)

We can't stay here--too expensive, and there are other considerations.

We thought that maybe we'd try to find a house that we could afford to buy and keep for a year or so. That way we could get the 'new' home really fixed up the way we want it.

So Now--we found an interesting house about an hour away. Lower taxes, lower sales tax. Nice neighborhood. Similar house here would probably cost in the $300,000-400,000 range. It's listed at 229,000. It's the first home we've looked at, but I can honestly tell you it's got EVERYTHING I wanted in our retirement house--all the 'must haves' and--unbelievably--all the WISHES I had on my list.

We can manage the downpayment nicely. And should be able to sell our home for enough to pay off the balance of the mortgage in a couple of years. The tricky part is the next couple of years. The mortgage on this house alone would be about half my husband's monthly take-home. That's a lot for us--and we'd have TWO sets of utility, water, insurance, etc bills to go along with that. We would be allowing ourselves a little cushion, but not a huge one.

Obviously, I'm counting on the market bouncing back in a year or 2--if it doesn't...

On the upside, real estate prices are depressed right now, and the mortgage interest rates are really low. If we don't jump on this opportunity, will we every find another 'perfect' house for that kind of money?

When I say perfect--it's on a huge lot, has an amazing driveway (you could park 12 cars along it and no one would be 'parked in'), beautifully landscaped. Big kitchen, first floor laundry room, really nice tile in the kitchen, baths, laundry room. Full basement with a huge family room, office, utility room (and one of the br and one bath). 4 bedrooms, 2 bath. 2 car detached garage. Deck. There's more--but I really don't want to bore you.

So--thoughts. What do you think about the risk on this? Are we getting in over our heads? I don't mind being financially strapped for a couple of years, but then, if we find we cannot sell our original house... On the other hand, if we don't take this opportunity, will we find another house that has EVERYTHING we wanted? And will it be at a similarly good price?

Comments (23)