SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

Pics from my Charleston trip

reno_fan
15 years ago

I truly wish we could have gone into every single home I saw. I was so smitten with the archictecture! Gorgeous brick courtyards, lush gardens, fountains....drool.

Here are some pics:

Our hotel. I've never seen a chandelier this large!

Our room had the coolest stain "carpet". I'm going to have to replicate this somewhere:

Various houses:

Taken at Magnolia Plantation:

And because I'm a giant nerd who LOVES the show The Real Estate Pros (formerly on Flip that House), I paid a visit to a Trademark property office and got a t-shirt. :)

At Fort Sumter:

And at the best restaurant in the world, Magnolias!

YUM!

Comments (58)

• runninginplace
    15 years ago

Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing Reno! We have been to Charleston several times. We have friends now who moved (back) there to live; their families are Middletons and Rutledges...Reno will recognize those names I'm sure :).

I have a random question: I'm a big fan of The Real Estate Pros and have wondered if it is no longer being produced. I really enjoy watching the episodes I've seen and was excited to see it listed again the past couple of Saturdays. But alas, those were reruns. Anybody know if the Trademark Properties gang will ride again?

Ann

• amysrq
    15 years ago

OMG, the houses are gorgeous, especially the patina-ed stucco in the first pic. But ooooh, the shrimp and grits! I miss shrimp and grits! Thanks for the wonderful memories!

• Related Discussions

Some blooms and pics of my family trip.

Q

Comments (5)
    Its in St.Francisville, La. its called Rosedown Plantation. I went to see my high school friend that worked there and she gave us passes for a house tour but right when we started to go through the gardens I got a phone call that Mom was feeling bad so we had to leave. It was nice to have something fun for John in our weekend trip, lol. The nun's orchid stalks came up around Easter but it took them forever to open. I cut about 10 of the flowers for a party to decorate and still had all those in the pics left.I have it in a large pot. It was cool. Karyn did you see the last pic? I can't remember the name its that little funnel shape plant you sent me that multiplies and hangs down. It bloomed. I remembered last year it looked like it was going to but grew the tall finger looking things. This time it did and the flowers are really neat. I put plastic on the walls of the greenhouse then covered it with hardi board and put shade cloth over one side of the clear roof and it worked perfect this year. The stuff still in there looks better than the things outside. I might leave it in there and put up the shade cloth on the otherside. I have to go look at the pics to see what cement barrier you mean. It might be John's rigged up pump for the upper pond, lol. It ugly. My grandson is growing like a weed. The iris might be game cock. I bought Three different kinds on ebay last year but they all looked the same, lol. I wanted to snag some water hyacinth for my little upper pond now that I have the greenhouse to overwinter it. Mine died over the winter a couple years ago. Oh I see what you mean in the pond. It has a little channel around the edge for water to circulate that I have horse tail rush and watercress growing in. Our water has so much minerals it leaves a white crust on stuff. Its really just part of the black preformed pond. I decided to go back to my natural color for a while after I was looking at some pics of me when I was a teenager, lol. Its hard to hide the grey with it dark so don't know how long I will keep it, lol.
    ...See More

My trip to Raleigh, lot of pics

Q

Comments (9)
    Next time you are in Raleigh, visit Pullen Park. There are (or were anyway) quite a few very tall Windmill palms there last time I was there but that was also about 8 years ago. If you google "pullen park palm trees" a good number of photos of them come up. When I was there there was also TONS of seedling windmills growing all over the place as well. So many people grow this palm from the mid Atlantic states, southward it would not shock me to see them start to naturalise in some areas especially from South Eastern Virginia southward. Maybe even in the DE/MD/NJ coastal areas as well. Nice pics! Thank you for sharing!
    ...See More

Pics from my Trip to Bermuda! (lots of pics)

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi Laura, sorry I missed your post, you posted just 1 minute before I made my post haha! The beaches in bermuda were definitely the nicest I have ever seen. There were plenty of large rocks around the beaches, but the sand itself was really soft and fine. The beaches around my area dont compare at all! Definitely one of my favorite vacations even though I was only there for 5 days. My plumerias are doing really well. The cuttings you sent me are growing really well, the Scott Pratt is doing especially well, it put out a ton of growth this summer. The California sunset is doing well too, but I think I will give it more sun so it grows a little faster! My largest plumeria is approaching 13 feet tall (pot included) and is now the tallest tropical plant in my yard (even larger than the Adondila I bought!)so it's going to be a real challenge finding a place for that one inside. It has 3 inflos on it now but I can only take pictures of the blooms from my upstairs window! It's about a week or 2 away from blooming. Looks like it's going to have to get cut back next spring as much as I hate having to do that to my plumerias! I havent posted too many pics of my plumerias this year because they all bloomed so well last year that this year there have been barely any blooms at all. My plumeria Divine put out 2 flowers from the inflo that it made indoors and it is just now starting to make another inflo. My Pretty Princess has always been a late one to bloom and it's inflo is still a good month away from blooming. I hope it blooms before it's too late! Hopefully it will be a warm fall and nmaybe next summer the plumerias will all have enough growth to bloom like crazy again. I hope your plumerias and tropicals are all doing well! -Alex
    ...See More

A little belatedly, about my trip to Yale.....(with pics)

Q

Comments (10)
    Thank you for the comments, everyone! Lydia, no jitters this time. Actually, no jitters last time either, once I arrived. But my pre-event jitters lasted months! :-) June, I hope you've just inspired yourself to start a blog. Really! I'm particularly fond of the stonework at Yale, but they do some interesting things with iron as well. This was one of many posts in a long wrought-iron fence I passed on the way to the Grove Street Cemetery, the first chartered burial ground in the United States. Unfortunately, I arrived at the cemetery at 4:10 p.m., not knowing the gates are locked at 4:00.
    ...See More
  • patricianat
    15 years ago

Ah, you stayed at Charleston Place. We like it also. No place in the world any prettier than Rainbow Row except maybe Rome. :)

• User
    15 years ago

What gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I've been to Charleston once and still dream about those gorgeous homes and gardens. Your pictures are wonderful. It sounds like it was a great trip. Thanks for sharing them with us!
    Lynn

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

This brought back memories for me as I love Charleston! Beautiful pictures. Did you get a chance to visit any other plantations while you were there? Love the picture of my favorite dish, shrimp and grits!

• tammy518
    15 years ago

Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing! As you know, I'm going there soon myself and your pics just whetted my appetite. I just love that old architecture.

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Reno fan,

After living in Charleston ten years, I moved south to a coastal town between Savannah and Charleston when I married a local. My grown children now live in Charleston, and I'm up there once or twice a month to visit. Your photos captured the true essence of the Holy City, and brought to live images that we often pass unnoticed. Thank you!! It truly is an architectural treat to visit and the food, oh the food.....there's some of the best food in the country in Charleston!

We had our daughter's wedding reception at one of the historic town houses downtown, with the large porch set up with tables, as well as in the yard. Everyone said the food was the best they'd ever tasted at a wedding before, and I was so nervous and busy "hostessing", I never ate a bite!

Heidi

• teacats
    15 years ago

Gorgeous photos -- we adore Charleston and Savannah!

Thanks for sharing!

Jan

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will pass the photo compliments on to my mom! She took all of these photos! (There were a few shots I suggested, be she manned the camera.) She has *such* a great eye for things like this. Many of these photos were taken from a carriage ride while we were moving, believe it or not. The rest were taken as we were walking. She's so fast that many times I didn't even realize she was taking photos. Some people just have that "eye" for photography. Some of her photos came out so beautifully they could be postcards. (Incidentally, her eye for design is the same. She can take a room full of junk and arrange to look like a magazine room.)

She'll be thrilled to hear the compliments.

If it wasn't so darned humid, I'd want to pack up and move to this area.

• kittiemom
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing your lovely pics. I LOVE Charleston & have been going there for many years. We spent part of our honeymoon there. We've stayed at Charleston place & really liked it - very elegant. We thought that DH's company might move us to Charleston but instead moved us to Wilmington, NC. There's a nice historic district & waterfront here, too, but nothing like Charleston!

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

Loved your 'Tour of Charleston' ! You'd make a great Travel Guide!! How beautiful it is there...Went many years ago as a kid w/my parents..but would love to go back now and see it thru 'grown up' eyes...lol I'm also a fan of 'Real Estate Pros' and hope it returns w/new episodes. Maybe because of the housing market, they are in a slump too...who knows. Well kudos to your mom for such great pics..and Thanks for sharing.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Gosh how nice to take a lovely trip with your mom like that. For some reason, I have never been to Charleston.
    It is only a five hour drive from me. Don't you just love the spanish moss hanging from the tree's and the gorgeous plantations and town houses? How about the plantation thick southern accents?

I love the garden district in New Orleans, my favorite city.

Brutuses do you live in New Orleans?

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Lovely photos and I am so glad you enjoyed my home state and their celebrity, Richard. lol He is such a funny guy, and Ginger reminds me of a dear friend.

"Ah, you stayed at Charleston Place. We like it also. No place in the world any prettier than Rainbow Row except maybe Rome. :)"

I was thinking the same thing! Below are two photos I took on my recent trip to Rome. I took them because the places reminded me of Charleston.

Palmetto Place

Hospitality

We use to live in Beaufort (about an hour away) and my DH often went to Charleston on business, so I'd join him. My parents had a beach place near the city, so we have spent much time there. In fact, I was just there last month and may go back by the first of September. Charleston is only 5 hours away, now.

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

I was a fan of the show too and I always wanted to know why Trademark decided not to continue with it for another season? A different real estate company was chosen for the new season but these people didn't interest me as much as the Trademark folks so I stopped watching altogether.
    What beautiful houses they have in Charleston.

• estreya
    15 years ago

WOW! I'm amazed by those photographs, particularly in light of the fact that your mother took them under such "hostile" photographic conditions (movement and humidity). I'm just amazed!!

Beautiful. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing them.

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

THANKS FOR POSTING THE GREAT PICTURES.HUBBY AND I ARE HEADED FOR CHARLESTON AND SAVANNAH NEXT MONTH. ITS TO BE MY CONSOLATION FOR NOT GOING TO ITALY THIS YEAR.

THE LARGE TOUR COMPANY (WELL KNOWN)PULLED A NUMBER OF TRIPS EVEN THEIR GUARANTEED DEPARTURE TOURS DUE TO THE ECONOMY.IT WAS TO BE A FIRST CLASS TRAIN TOUR, AND THEY OFFERED US A BUS TRIP IN EXCHANGE WHICH WE REFUSED. SO NOW I GET TO GO SOMEHWERE THAT I HAVE WANTED FOR A LONG TIME.

WE ARE HOPING TO STAY IN HISTORIC B&b's IN BOTH PLACES AND PLAN ON SPENDING 10 DAYS OR SO BEWTEEEN THE TWO.

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE ON B&B'S IN EITHER CITY.YOU CANT ALWAYS TELL FROM A BOOK WHICH ARE THE BEST AS EVERY TRAVEL BOOK OR SITE SAYS SOMETHING DIFFERENT.THE BEST ADVICE WOULD BE IN MY OPINION FROM SOMEONE FAMILIAR WITH THE AREA.THANKS.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

neesie, I was born, raised and live just outside of N.O. The French Quarter is a lot cleaner than it use to be thanks to the new waste disposal company that cleans and picks up the trash. However, Charleston is so immaculate compared to N.O. Charleston is what I wish N.O. could be, then I would go sight seeing.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

flyingflower, I read that Richard had a suit against A&E. I forget the details, but they did something that made him angry enough to leave.

Do you see his new show on TLC, I think it is?

• susan209
    15 years ago

I want to second the THANKS Reno and to your Mom (is she at the table with you? Lovely lady) for the travel pictures, they do look like they were taken from post cards. I wish I could have been with the two of you, I'm sure you had a simply divine trip and I'm glad for you. It was all like eye candy, the delicious food pictured, beautiful homes and divine scenery....may you always have fond memories of that trip. Thanks again for sharing.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Craftymeca, why not stay at the same hotel Renofan stayed, downtown? It is a wonderful hotel. It is either 4- or 5-star, cannot remember but it is Conde Naste and very elegant, even with upscale merchants within the hotel and restaurants, little British taxis, etc. I just love that hotel and it is within walking distance or horse ride of so much. We have stayed there twice and by all means, eat at Hyman's which is right next door to this hotel and the best seafood place ever.

Brutuses, I have not been to NO since Katrina. We used to go at least once a year because we had friends there who have since moved to Lexington, KY. What is going on at Jax Brewery? Was it destroyed? Is it going to be rebuilt? Do the horses still poop everywhere? LOL. I lived there in my very young and early life and the friends were from my childhood. We all move on in one way or other.

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures, reno_fan. You and your mom looked like you were really having a wonderful time. What a great idea--no kids, no hubby, just mother and daughter!

Charleston really is beautiful--I was there about 7 years ago. DH and I were on a kick of visiting southern cities (we're from New England). Over a few years we visited Charleston, Savannah, St. Augustine, New Orleans, and finally Nashville and Memphis. We loved the different architecture and culture of each (we really enjoyed the quirkiness of Savannah and the architecture there is gorgeous as well!). A question to you southern ladies or travellers--any cities we missed that you would recommend??

• alex9179
    15 years ago

So beautiful!

My sister lives near Charleston and I'm hoping to visit her in the spring when she has her baby. Seeing these pictures has me even more excited to go!

Hopefully I can get my mom to go with me and we'll take a day for a tour of the town.

LOVED the picture at the plantation, it takes you back in time :)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

patricia, I couldn't tell you what is happening with the Jax brewery or anything else downtown. I never go there. Last time I was there was a few months after Katrina and that was to go to a meeting regarding animal rescue. I went down Canal St and back up and was out of there. It's not what I grew up with so it has no significance to me anymore. When I was a child Canal St. was a showplace and somewhere we would go at night to browse all the beautiful window scapes of the department stores, like Krauss. Remember Krauss? What a beautiful landmark to lose. So many like it have been gone for many years now. I wouldn't go walking down Canal St. today for a million dollars. For one thing there is nothing to see, only cheesey stores and their fronts encased with metal bars. It's so sad to see what we had and what we lost, long before Katrina came to town.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Teeda, I think Asheville, North Carolina, is a must and there are so many little towns in that area (little textile villages, if you will) that deserve to be seen, Landrum and Laurens (South Carolina, but very, very near North Carolina) and of course, Richmond, VA. Montgomery has shed its ties to the south, inasmuch as architecture and all the old wonderful architecture is being taken down with recking balls in an effort to eradicate its past, capital of the confederacy and home of Jefferson Davis. It is very sad to see so much beautiful architecture and history destroyed for political correctness' sake. Someone does not have the vision to incorporate the past with the present, but the mayor is very desirous of eradicating any and everything built prior to the 1990s and his willing constituency is aiding him with government funding, while he runs from the bankruptcy he created, he is running for congress and will most likely win and shuffle off to Washington to see what further damage he can render.

So many of the buildings in downtown Montgomery housed beautiful marble from Sylacauga, Alabama, home to the whitest and most desirous of marble from European sculptors. In fact, I think the marble business in Sylacauga, Alabama, is now owned by Italians and much of the marble is being sold off to use in toothpaste, etc. No more fashionable downtown with all the beautiful department stores that were a feast for the eyes.

Brutuses, I can remember when Uptown (near Magazine Street) and the areas downtown in New Orleans were a showplace and, yes! I do remember Krauss. I recall a time when all the houses on St. Charles were so startlingly beautiful, the whole garden district and the last time I was there, we were driving around and I noticed the once fine homes, now flop houses, are so very near the homes that were once "castle-like" and exquisitely decorated, many of which still are but their proximity to what has become slums is very sad.

The last time I was down in that area, I felt like I needed a bath just from walking past the cheezy storefronts. Living means changing, but cities like New Orleans and Montgomery will never be seen by future generations the way we saw them. It is all very sad. I also feel the same way about Atlanta and Birmingham.

Jax Brewery was the only place in that area that I felt halfway safe last visit in June 2005.

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

Patricia 43: Thanks for the sugestion but we specifically want to stay in B&B's.We love the ambiance of an old home and have enjoyed the whole experience. In the past we have stayed in the King William Historic Distric of San Antonio, as well as some charmers in Maine and our own east coast B&B"s

We stay in hotels as well but when we are somewhere in a historic area we like to go this route and the personal touch that it has.If you have any suggestins on those I would love to hear them from you or anyone else for that matter familiar with these two cities.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Craftymeca, I really do not know about the B&Bs around there but I can ask a friend who lives in that area. Charleston Place, the hotel, in the picture, is so old and is a part of the city's beauty and charm and the amenities are very personal and the reason I recommended it.

I do have a friend who lives in that area and has an art gallery there so I can ask her and she if she has any recommendations. IF so, I will be glad to share with you.

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I have not been there but always wated to go. You pictures and all the great comments make it a must visit in the near future.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Craftymeca - Have you done any research? We have stayed in many of the B&B's over the years, but they change names, close down, etc., that I would be afraid to recommend one. Plus, I can't remember the names myself. If you have any in mind, post them and I will see if we have stayed in any.

patricia43 - I had a chuckle when you suggested Laurens, SC. I grew up not too far from there. It's about two hours from Asheville (which is a great suggestion, as the famous Biltmore Home, Gardens, and winery is located there).

teeda - I am about an hour from Asheville in a little historical town, called Jonesborough, TN. It's the oldest town in TN and home of the National Story Telling Festival.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

NHB, I have two piece of artwork that I bought in Laurens last time we were at Roses Unlimited. There is a neat little bistro on the square and an art shop right next door. One was of the square in Laurens (and did you know historians are saying that it has buildings and history even older than some of Charleston?) and the other was of some beautiful old mansion there. They are prints of water colors done by an artist from Charleston and I have yet to frame them, but have the mats. When I get off my duff and get it done, I will see if one of my children can take a picture so that I can post it.

P.S. Another place I dearly love is just up the road from Asheville, Blowing Rock. I love all the little boutiques and the gorgeous view from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

• hoosiergirl
    15 years ago

Reno, your post reminded me of the trips my mom & I had taken when I was single (and sad that there won't be any more since she's now passed away). We went to New Orleans, Nachez (highly recommend, Teeda!) and England/France. We had such good times on those trips -- just the two of us! My grandma went with us to Williamsburg one time also -- that was fun, too!

DH, the kids & I went to Charleston a couple of years ago. DH and I *loved* it and would love to go back sometime sans kids. The kids are young and don't give a hoot about architecture; they enjoyed the first 15 minutes of the carriage ride then they were bored. I wanted to go walk around and just gawk at the beauty!

Thanks for sharing your fantastic photos! (You're a doll, BTW!)

• nhb22
    15 years ago

TLC with Richard is on now! They are in Greenville, SC...another great town and just 20 minutes from where I grew up (Anderson). The downtown area is really neat.

Love that Ginger...going through the window. :)

patricia43 - I haven't been to Laurens in years! Use to date a guy that had a roommate living there, so we would visit frequently. Also use to drive through there on the way to BF's college. Some very pretty old homes.

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

Newhomebuilder: I have been on line and have seen a lot of georgous b&B's. I have been on Fodors, Frommers, and Trip Advisor. Interestingly enough they all recommend different ones, and seem to rate them differntly.One might be at the top of one list and then 16th on another. Then you read the reviews and once again some good some not so good for the same place. Guess that is to be expected.

I cant wait as this is a trip I have wanted to go on for so long. We have been to 3/4 of the states of your country but this area is one we have yet to visit.

I was surprised to read about Richmond tearing out all their old buildings.Virginia was another area of interest for its history. In our city we preserve as many of our historic buildings and they are turned into condos or shops which are quite unique. Not all cities in Canada do this.

We do want to stay in the historic district of both places and plan to do some exploring on foot. We will have a car as well.

One thing I will have to make sure of is that it is air conditioned as I notice that not all are, and some are only air conditioned in the public areas.Right now in central canada is is plenty hot, and dont know what we would do without the a/c. From what I have read mid sept in both places is still hot and humid so I am planning my wardrobe accordingly.

It has been our experience that people that live somewhere usually can point you in the right direction for lodging and places to eat. The latter I have plenty of info, and also hope upon our first day to go on a tour of the historic districts to get the lay of the land.

I am sure we cant go wrong with a number of the places I have looked at, but you dont want to hear about some of the not so nice surprises we had taking the reccomendations of a travel agency on one of our trips, which had fellow travellers rolling onthe floor whenwe told them where we had been. All part of the adventure.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Yes, Greenville is really beautiful now. We were there in May and the downtown area is gorgeous with the waterfalls and the suspension bridge, the park areas and the dog areas, the tree-lined streets. They have done a beautiful job.

Craftymeca, if you get to the Richmond area, by all means, see Williamsburg. It is a must-see and see the plantations. My favorite of course, is the plantation that was home to the 10th president (my ancestry) Sherwood Forest. Of course, there are several in that area but do see the plantations. They are worth the time and money. Each one has a charge but they are certainly worth seeing.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

craftymeca - Two Meeting Street Inn always seems to be a favorite with everyone. It is a beautiful place, over looking the battery area. http://www.twomeetingstreet.com/

I looked on Trip Advisor and the first 5-6 B&B's and Inns, that are rated, are nice places. My DH and I especially liked the Elliott House Inn, and the Ansborough Inn. Another nice place to stay is the Harbour Inn.

• babs711
    15 years ago

What great pics! I just love the Carolinas. I think if I could pick anywhere to live, it would be South Carolina.

Brutuses, I live in Metairie. I didn't know you lived near here! I haven't been on the boards too too long. Well,I was on a bit after Katrina when we were rebuilding and then took a long respite after I got burned out from the rebuilding process. Now I'm back. Canal street has been being revamped quite a bit since Katrina. They're making a lot of progress near the Riverfront. It's a lot nicer and getting more quaint actually. I don't go there very often but was there for a meeting a few weeks ago. We had a break so we walked from our hotel to Canal Place to shop and it was a really nice walk...surprisingly so!

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

Newhome builder: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REFERALS.I RECOGNIZE SOME OF THE NAMES, AS i HAVE ALSO BEEN LOOKNG AT THE AAA OR CAA TOUR BOOKS.

I HAVE ALSO READ THAT THERE ARE SOME AREAS OF THE HISTORIC DISTRICT THAT ARE NOT AS SAFE TO WALK AT NIGHT AS OTHERS.

I WILL LOOK THESE UP ON LINE , I DO RECALL TWO MEETING STREET AS COMING UP ON SEVERAL SITES.

THANKS AGAIN FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP ME .CRAFTYME

• lovinlifesc
    15 years ago

Hello to all!

This thread has brought me out of lurk mode for my first post (I spent over a year lurking in kitchens and about the same time in this forum while decorating our home).

I have to say that I feel so blessed to call SC my home state. Reno, please tell your mother she has captured so well one of my favorite cities. Charleston Place was once the Omni Hotel, and my favorite activity was to enjoy tea in the Lobby Lounge right under that chandelier.

Being from the coast, and now living in the Greenville area has given me the best (I think) of what the state has to offer. From living within walking distance of the ocean to now enjoying our 105 year old restored home; having lived and traveled from Maine to Florida and from California to WA state, there's no place I'd rather be than right here in SC! We moved here from Asheville, NC, a city everyone should put on their list of beautiful southern cities.

Craftymecca, I've stayed in the Elliot House Inn and can recommend it highly.

I wanted to say hello to newhomebuilder, patricia, brutuses, and all the rest of you whose posts here have inspired me, made me laugh, helped me in choosing things for our home, and generally enjoying what a close community you have here. I would be honored to join you in the passion that is making our homes our sanctuaries in the world.

Thank you,
    Susan

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Welcome Susan!

Can't wait to see some of your 105 year old home.

I love your sign-on name too!

PS - I thought that the CP use to be called the Omni. We have never stayed there, but thanks to the photos. we may have to give it a try. DH and I are currently trying to decide if we should go to Charleston, or go on a cruise for a last minute getaway for my birthday. If we choose the former, we may just book our room there.

• julie92
    15 years ago

Thanks again Reno Fan for the beautiful Charleston pictures. I am a native South Carolinean and live in the Upstate in the small town of Liberty(about 4 hrs away from the coast). My DH and I love to go eat at a little place on Shem Creek called The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene. It is an old fishing boat with delicious fried seafood. Nothing fancy, but a treat. You can eat on the screened porch and they have the best fried grits around. Then you go over to the Tiki bar and have a refreshing cocktail and listen to beach music. Oh! I wish I was there now. The upstate is also beautiful. My husband is from St Augustine, Fl and we visit there from time to time. It has some of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen. I still prefer SC. It is home to me! Try the Greenville area, Clemson University(my alma mater), Lake Keowee, and on up the mountain to Highlands, NC. You could see so many things in this area. It is truly a jewel. I guess that is why Floridians and Northerners are buying all of our lakefront property for upscale developments and golf courses. Hello to newhomebuilder(I work in Anderson) and loveinlifeinsc. Glad to hear from others in South Carolina!!!!!!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Great to have you here, LovinlifeSC and glad to know Julie92 is from Greenville. And yes, Julie, St Augustine is very beautiful and historical as well.

• lovinlifesc
    15 years ago

New Home Builder,

I love your decor palette and it's one of my favorites here! We still have some things in progress inside; but when I figure out how to post pictures, I'll show you some of the outside. I love our home and while I miss the mountains, but they aren't far. We are now halfway between my family at the beach, and my husband's family near Birmingham.

It's fun having to decide between trips for your birthday. Either one you choose will be terrific!

Thanks for welcoming me. Patricia, I drive through Laurens once a month on my way to a consulting client, so will check out the Rosewood Cottage of which you spoke. When my husband and I were looking for an older home, we saw one listed in MLS in Laurens. It was a little too far, but recently I saw the exterior of the home, and it's so grand! Our home is one level since it's our retirement home, and we won't have to climb the stairs when we're 90. :-)

I'm really sorry that so many fine Southern cities are tearing down their buildings. Hearing about Richmond breaks my heart! One reason I enjoy Europe so much is their historical architecture and the care to preserve their history.

Hello, Julie! I'm on the other side of Greenville from you, and nice to "meet" you.

I'm sorry for hijacking the thread. Thanks again for the photos of beautiful Charleston!

Susan

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

Reno fan & newhomebuilder: I am moving my questions over to conversation side ...Topic Savannah/ Charleston. I have a couple of B&B's I would like your thoughts on if you can help. Thanks.

• Midge57
    15 years ago

Yay! You ladies (and gents...) are speaking my language! Love the pics, renofan. I grew up on the Isle of Palms and after convincing my husband to move back as newlyweds I realized just how hot and sticky Charleston was if you weren't a teenager living on the beach! Now we're in Asheville (wonder if we've crossed paths, lovinlifesc?) but I think I've made about 5 road trips this summer down there for weddings and to visit family. I certainly love the pics though as it lets me play tourist in a town that I know very well but never get to truly step back and appreciate its beauty.

runninginplace: I wonder if we may have some of the same friends... I've been good friends with a "Middleton" descendant since high school but only last year found out he was part of that lineage!

Thanks again for sharing, renofan! I believe I'll go pick up the phone and call mom (in Charleston)!

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been on this thread (and board) in several days. DH and I did decide on the cruise, so I have been busy planning. We leave next week.

craftymeca - I don't know where the Conversation side is. Could yo direct me, and then we can give this thread back to reno fan and her beautiful photos.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Thanks Susan for those kind words and welcome. I can't wait to see photo's of your home. I imagine it is beautiful.

NHB, to get to conversations, back click from this page to the main page of this forum and at the top of where the threads start, on the right you'll see "Conversations" and "Gallery". Click on Conversations and you're in.

I've always wanted to go on a cruise because I think it's so romantic, then I remember how deathly afraid of water I am, and realize I'm better off on land. LOL Hope you have a wonderful time. Where are you going, if you don't mind me asking?

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Reno, Thanks for the lovely pics. We used to live in Charleston when my husband was in the Navy. Two of my kids were born there. Charleston Place was the Omni back then and we went there every year for Easter brunch! Since we didn't have family near by, we created our own traditions as many military families do. Such a great city! I loved going through the market! Have been to Savannah also, but thought it didn't hold a candle to Charleston! Another great place to stay and eat is The Vendue Inn! I have a picture of "The Pink House" hanging in my LR.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vendue Inn

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Thanks brutuses for the directions.

Our cruise stops in Puerto Rico, St. Maarten and Labadee, Haiti (private island for RCCL). We also have 3 sea days (our favorite) and will probably not even get off the ship, except for the private island stop. We have been to the other ports several times. This is just a relaxing getaway and we found a good last minute deal and were lucky to get reasonable flights to Ft. Lauderdale.

PS - I refused to cruise for years because I was afraid of being out on the big wide water. My DH finally talked me into it and since then, we have been on 15. Once I am on the ship, I don't even think about where I am. :) You should try it!

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

Patricia43 and Newhomebuilder: I was away when you both responded to my request for other great Southern destinations--but I wanted to thank you for your great input. Can't wait to start planning out next trip!

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

Hello again.Thought I would post this on both the discussion and conversation side, as not everyone goes to both, and the suggestions came from both areas.So far we are booked at the Foly House Inn in Savannah which is across the street from Chippewa Square. Am I right that this is where Forest Gumps bench is? Regards Two Meeting Street, according to Frommers they do NOT accept credit cards, and I do not want to carry a lot of cash on route. Guess that is their perogitive.Now I have to concentrate on Charleston. Just one little question even tho I now do have the perameters of the city thanks to Monablair,what advice do you have for any of the accomodations that are on E Battery. I am hoping to nail this down today( fingers crossed)