SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_4

what is your opinion?

mom_of_4
16 years ago

I am in need of some other person's point of view.....

In case you dont already know from my other postings I have four children... three sks and one daughter. The ages are 10 8 6 and 4 ...

Okay here it is... BM calls up and wants to pick the kids up to take them swimming for a few hours... she doesnt want to let them spend the night with her for whatever reason. However, by the kids that does not include the youngest... my daughter. I have a huge problem with this. Both the kids and her want her to come along but she does not include the youngest despite the fact that we have talked to her and told her that for whatever reason the youngest thinks she is the greatest thing in the world (so could not be farther from the truth of the matter). I don't like and to be quite frank have a major issue with picking up the kids to do something fun and leaving the youngest out of it. It is different when they are going to her house and they do their thing... but to just pick up the kids and then drop them back off and leaving one child out is completely unacceptable to me. I wouldnt pick the kids up from her and her bf's house to go to the beach or something and leave his kids out ... I don't know maybe I am in the minority on this but I don't think kids should have to suffer for adult problems... especially a four year old who doesnt understand why she can't go with her brothers and sisters to have fun too. I mean how is she going to handle that when they are older... ie: older girl has her first sleep over with her BM for a birthday or something is BM going to invite all of her daughters friends but leave my daughter/her step sister out??

I don't know... what is you opinion on this??

Comments (20)

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Sorry -- But since your daughter is the 4 year old, I'm going to have to say I understand the BioMom's position. At a swimming pool particularly, a 4-year old needs an entirely different level of parental attention than children who are slightly older, and presumably, better swimmers. And frankly, the 4 year old isn't hers. What could she do if there were an emergency? An accident? Even a minor one?

Of course, I can see why this would bother you, and also why it would hurt your daughter's feelings. But to BioMom, having her children be 'seamless siblings' to your daughter just isn't a priority the way it is to you. And sadly, this is just something you're going to have to explain to your youngest as a 'fact of life.'

When this happens, I'd suggest you do something special with your youngest so she doesn't feel so left out -- maybe something the other three have outgrown?

That said, it would still be nice if she would include your little girl every once in a while.

• mom_of_4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

that is more of the point .... it is not just the swimming it is for everything... she has done this before ... and for other things too... like getting the three candy after school and sending them home with it... So they come home with candy to the four year old who doesnt get any and gets upsest about it. (Not that I even like for them to have candy after school anyways ... but not really the point) My hubby says not everyone has the same heart that I do but it just bugs the crap out of me... I want to tell her that if she wants to do something like that she needs to just plan to keep them for the night that way it's less of a slap in the face for the little one.

• Related Discussions

Do you use a cover for your cooktop? What is your opinion on this one?

Q

Comments (32)
    A little history. The noodle board vs stove board:. The noodle board is used in homes where pasta is traditional. The stove board is used in homes where summer kitchens are common (summer kitchen is a kitchen outside of the house, so you don't heat up the hs. in the summer). For those of us where neither pasta or summer kitchens are part of the culture we call this the pastry board. It moves around to many surfaces, stove, table, dry sink etc. And we always had a marble piece to fit it so we could do butter pastry. Once we had electricity (1959) we kept it permanently on the old wood cooking stove, since the new electric stove was hidden in a tiny pantry (we weren't really ready). So, don't feel bad if you don't know what a noodle board is, your ancestors probably didn't eat pasta much. I use a noodle rack myself because it's takes up less space. My pastry board is well over 100 yrs old, is 30 inches wide, all one slab of wood! It hangs from a square nail attached to my possum belly kitchen queen (now coffee station). I use it as my grand mother did, and love that it softens my cooktop.
    ...See More

What is your opinion/experience with alfalfa and AA tea? & Qs

Q

Comments (195)
    No, baking soda would not harm at all provided the final pH of the solution is reasonable. And you are not using so much of it as to cause salt burn. Just measure the pH of the aa tea and add baking soda to till you just get your pH. sodium bicarbonate appears in water from many sources. Its a matter of pH and concentration. Do on a small volume first, keeping track of how much you are adding of what and then you can scale up as needed. Be aware that sometimes solutions that contain a lot of amino acids and proteins (such as aa tea) may suck up a lot of salts without changing pH, ie they can be strong buffers. In this case you cannot use baking soda but need something more caustic such as sodium hydroxide (lye)...just a little bit of lye can make the pH alkaline quickly. the experiment is worth doing, adjusting pH of aa tea to an alkaline range. It may happen that you have to add alkaline water in a different way. But it may work the way you want it to.
    ...See More

What is your opinion about Ruvati sinks?

Q

Comments (1)
    If you type in "Ruvati" in the search bar above, you'll get 20-30 threads about them.
    ...See More

What is your opinion on pass through windows for residential projects?

Q

Comments (42)
    I think you need to know your priorities and what is going to function best on a day to day basis. I bbq in the summer all the time, I love eating outside on the patio. I don't mind walking through the dining and living room to get outside and my guests go outside through the living room, but having to carry trays or containers of food through the rooms is a pain in the butt. I have always wanted a pass through window so that I can easily transfer the things I need for outside food prep and serving from the kitchen to the bbq area. I also remember thinking in my last home how much better my kitchen would be if I didn't have a door going from the kitchen to the garage. I really could have used that extra counter space. Even with a door in the kitchen you will have to walk the trays of meat and bag of corn and the ketchup and mustard and pitcher of lemonade back and forth, where a countertop pass through you can just slide the stuff through the window. I always loved the movie Cheaper by the dozen, where the dad times each activity to see what was the most efficient way to do everything. I loved it more when I found out it was written by two of the children of Lillian Gilbreth, the woman who is credited with creating the kitchen work triangle. I like to look at my space and figure out what will be the most efficient, most functional space for the way I use the space.
    ...See More
  • vistajpdf
    16 years ago

Mom of 4:

I personally wouldn't want my husband's ex to ever do anything w/ my (his and mine) boys. She's a nut who went from being a maniac to a born-again Christian carrying a candid photo of our oldest, as a baby, around in her wallet! It kind of freaked me out - she snapped his picture at her DD's v-ball game, cut it and kept it in her wallet.

Your situation is different in that maybe you trust this woman w/ your DD. However, she has no ties to your DD, so I'm w/ sweeby about using this time for one-on-one fun time w/ DD. She may have something planned that is best for her oldest, and she's pushing the envelope a bit to include her other biokids, but doesn't feel comfortable having your DD there - could be a movie or something like that that a younger child might not enjoy/be right for.

My 4 y.o.'s (almost 5) Godmother has a son my 7 y.o.'s age. Last summer, she picked up both of my boys along w/ her son from golf camp and decided to take the two then-6y.o.'s to a movie. The 4 y.o. asked, "Can I come?" and she said that he could. Personally, when she told me of her plans to take the two older ones to a movie, I was a little appalled that she'd exclude the younger one (and he's not a baby, well-behaved, etc) that I know she loves. I just didn't get it. I mean, the younger one is her Godson and how can you "drop one off" then head out for fun w/ the other two? Anyway, I was glad she took all three. Maybe three is overwhelming for her or something, but I'd never dream of inviting our neighbor's son to a movie and not allow his sisters to join us, etc.

Maybe your husband's ex is looking to reconnect to 'her' kids and the thought of having a fourth around is too much for her. I understand your position, and when my brother had a child w/ a woman who had a son, I'd never think to exclude that boy from any outing we took and always brought him Christmas gifts, etc. However, w/ you having custody of the skids, you don't have to make a choice of not including them in everything you do. Their mom does not feel the same, so ask their BM to let you know in advance of any plans so you can already have your DD out w/ you for some fun.

Good luck,
    Dana

• mom_of_4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yes, I can see the point of wanting some time with her kids... and actually there are some situations that I would not trust her to have my daughter with her...
    (and I suppose the swimming thing was a bad example it's just the most recent one) But, if she can include her bf's three year old then why leave out only one child that is in the mix... especially when it is something easy like going to the park...

Would it be unreasonable for us to say if you are not going to include her then you need to plan to take the kids for the night if you can't keep them for the night then plan this event for a different day.

Part of the problem is that half the time she doesnt 'plan' it. She just calls that day... like the other day with the swimming.... I was at work and there really wasnt anyway I could do something with my daughter or even plan around it.

• sminnc
    16 years ago

In that case I would just explain to her what you are explaining to us. And ask her if she could please not make any last mintue requests anymore, as it is not fair to you. Regardless if they are her kids and she feels entitled to pick them up whenever she wants, it's not fair for you to have to plan around it. Make sure you say that you do understand her reasons for maybe not taking your DD, but that you just have to plan a little better so that she does not feel left out. That way if you know ahead of time the 3 SK's are going somewhere, you can explain to DD ahead of time as well and plan something with her. (Special mommy and me time) You can turn it into something your daughter looks forward to instead of being upset.

• vistajpdf
    16 years ago

No, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that she keep her kids for the night if this arises again. And, if she's including her boyfriend's 3 y.o. then it surely is something that your 4 y.o. could also enjoy. However, I don't know how much help the oldest is, but if he/she isn't a huge help, I wouldn't feel comfortable having this woman in charge of possibly 5 kids unless the bf is there, too.

I think the bigger issue, and this whole post is just an example of the underlying sentiments that are bothering you, is that you've bent over backwards for her children and she's never shown your DD one act of kindness or anything in return. That isn't right and your DD is young, doesn't understand the division of families, or why her mommy is always w/ her half/stepsiblings and their mommy doesn't seem to want her around. Though she likes the woman now, this will build and she won't understand it. Maybe your DD is a reminder of what she let go or could have had. Who knows? She also may not realize that you'd like her to be included every so often. I think your approach is a good one - tell her that if she wants time w/ her kids that doesn't include your DD, you'd like her to keep the kids overnight as it's easier to explain to your child. Also, add that she'd best give notice, again if DD isn't welcomed, so you can make adjustments in your schedule to accomodate your 4 y.o. Maybe say that your DD was a little hurt that she wasn't included in the swimming adventure and to spare her feelings in the future, you'd appreciate more notice unless your DD is also allowed to go. She may be shocked that you'd not forbid it or just ignore you, but it's worth a try.

Good luck,
    Dana

• theotherside
    16 years ago

If her separation agreement is anything like mine (and I think mine is pretty standard because my lawyer didn't have an original bone in her body) - the NCP has the right to "reasonable" spontaneous visitation, and is not required to keep the children for any particular length of time. My ex-husband has called up the kids and taken them out to an unplanned lunch or movie on a number of occasions. The NCP is not even required by law to take all of his own children to any particular activity.

Even aside from the issue that your daughter is not in any way related to your stepchildren's mother, and the fact that she is only 4 and I would never consider supervising someone else's 4 year old in a pool, it is not at all unusual for a subset of kids to be invited somewhere. I almost can't remember the last time when ALL of my kids were invited to go swimming or to any other activity.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

In some families, it seems to be the expectation that if one kid is invited, that means they're ALL invited. My son had this friend, and each time we invited him over, (party, sleepover) his mom dropped off the two younger brothers at the same time. We planned for 1 and got 3! OK - the party was borderline, and not an inconvenience as we were over-run with little boys anyway, but the second time? It was the last invitation to our house. Different cultures, perhaps...

• kkny
    16 years ago

Sweeby -- I never heard of this -- sounds like these people are moochers. Agreed, last time for them. Feel sorry for the invited boy, he may never know why invitations stopped.

• mom2emall
    16 years ago

I do not think that you should expect the biomom of your stepkids to take your child along on outings. (as for me hell would have frozen over before I would trust my stepkids mom with my child!) I do see your hurt feelings point though.

I have 3 stepkids, almost the same ages as yours and I have my own child from a prevous marriage who is the same age as my oldest stepchild (10). I do not expect my ex to take my stepkids out with him when he picks up our child. And he takes our child to movies, bowling, mimi-golfing, and everything else. And when my stepkids mother used to see her kids I never tried to have her take my child with them. They would come back talking about fun activities on occassion. The kids have never seen this as a problem. They understand that they do not all share the same parents, and sometimes they do not get to go where the others go. (And I do have an almost 5 yr old stepchild)

The only time jealousy has occurred is around holidays. The stepkids have out of state family on their moms side who send gifts. When my stepkids mothers family sends them stuff my child has complained about the fact that she did not get anything, but then I point out to her that her dads family buys her presents and not her stepsiblings. Letting the kids know that everything may not always be the same for everyone has been a hard thing to teach, but as time goes on they understand it more.

As for me, when my stepkids used to visit their mother I took the opportunity to get some one-on-one time with my daughter. She loved it and even looked forward to the others leaving! So maybe when the stepkids leave set up a "movie time" or a picnic in the backyard. Or take the time to curl your daughters hair and play dress-up. Those are all activities I have done with my daughter and she has loved the quality time with just me, and I am the hero to her without having to spend the money on afternoon outings that my stepkids mom does!

• mom_of_4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

While I understand and have been a big advocate of not everyone gets to do exatly what the other one is doing, as I said there is a difference between including all of the children except her and (for example) the oldest being invited to a birthday party and the rest staying home.

And yes, there are some underlying bad feelings in that I do everything possible for her kids to make sure they are treated the same as mine... and as I said if the situation asks I include her bfs kids .... and she does not include my daughter.

That said, I talked to hubby this weekend and we decided it was time to have a sit down with BM as this is not the only issue that is in the air ... but we both agree that it is really not to much to ask that she either include my daughter or plan to keep the kids over night... my daughter understands spending quality time with their mom she does not understand and shouldnt have to understand why she cant go to the park or wherever when everyone else gets to go....

When things are planned ... we know to plan something for her... and actually she ... a lot of the times... enjoys spending some time alone with my hubby since he is her step dad and her dad is not alive... she feels special... but for a four year old ... especially my little dress wearing tom boy ... activities with the kids especially ones that are out doors are the greatest things in the world...

• kkny
    16 years ago

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your first husband. Does your DD have relatives on her father's side? Arent there times they want to see her? I think your expectations of your DD being including with her stepbrothers and stepsisters at her moms are not realistic. This is not just an issue of age appropriate, or not everyone gets to go everywhere, but also the skids mother is not your babysitter. A court will not enforce this, and will likely view as unreasonable.

• mom_of_4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

She does have family on her dad's side... which she does go and visit quite often when the kids go to their mom's which helps her feel like she gets to do something special too...

Also, I do not in any way shape or form see the BM or even want to use her as a babysitter... I am merely trying to make sure that all of the children that live in my household are treated fairly... and I honestly don't think it is too much to say if she wants to take her kids to the park to keep them for the night or include the youngest...

I am not particularly concerned about the court at this point.. according to everything else the kids are supposed to be living with her ... but alas they live with us...

I know that when it comes down to it ... she is not her mother ... but the fact is we are dealing with children and I dont think any children should suffer the intricacies of adult problems... just as I (as I said earlier) wouldn't presume to pick up her kids from her house to go to the beach without inviting her bf's children as well... I dont think it is right

• kkny
    16 years ago

She and her BF have a current relationship, just as you and your DH do. People who are in relationships frequently include the others children in outings. I think if you include this with other, more reasonable requests, you will lose credibility and risk being viewed as asking for too much.

• Vivian Kaufman
    16 years ago

I wouldn't push the issue either.

• pammo
    16 years ago

mom of 4, I am in a somewhat similar situation. There is no best answer to your problem, but perhaps this will help. Rather than focusing on the BioMom, focus on your daughter. Whenever possible, when a situation like this arises, arrange to do something very fun one-on-one with your daughter. Treat it as an opportunity to focus on her. Let go of your anger and resentment toward the ex and focus on your love for your daughter. That way she will not suffer unduly in the situation.

Incidentally, there's no way that things are always fair for every kid. Just doesn't work that way.

Believe me, I know how hard this is. I also know that the alternative is a definite no-win. You can't force other people to see or do things your way . . . .

• vannie
    16 years ago

I wouldn't want her taking my child. This is a good time for ya'll to have some alone time w/o the other kids. If I was in her shoes it wouldn't occur to me to include the other child.

• Jonesy
    16 years ago

I can tell you right now if I were her, I would not include your child, I want time with my children without someone else tagging along. Your child is not her child or her responsibility. And you need to tell your daughter ...that is their mom, they need time alone with her.

• mom_of_4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hubby and I have talked and decided that she will not be picking the kids up for only and hour or two to do something like go to the park or whatever without including the other children in the family (or child) it's not about us grown ups its about the kids and there is no good reason why she cant go to the park for instance... if she wants to pick them up and doesnt want to include the youngest then she will have to keep them for the night. We give the same care and concern for her bfs children and have no reason but to expect the same for our household.

• lafevem
    16 years ago

I hope this agreement works out for you guys. Luckily, this hasn't been a problem in our case because I wouldn't trust DH's ex to keep my guppie, but I know that is not your situation. I hope you guys can come to some compromise.