SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_fl

How to create a bed canopy/swag?

sharon_fl
15 years ago

In the 'princess' room I'm doing at the end of this month-I purchased 8 yds of this sparkly lt pink sheer material to make a window curtain & some sort of swag for behind this gorgeous twin bedset. Originally, I was just going to swag it from a pole and draw it over to the bedposts, but I'm rethinking this idea.

The bed will be placed against the wall & I' using the 2 footboards on each end of the bed. The ornate headboard will be hung on a cleat on the wall slightly above the bed.

I'm thinking I'd like to place a panel of the material (the width of the headboard,(44") and let it 'scoop' from the wall edge out into the room to the width of the bed (44") and then have a drop valence of about 14" (too big a drop?). Although the headboard will be nailed to the wall-the end posts of it are 2" thicker than the headboard itself..therefore allowing the backdrop of curtain to fall behind the headboard itself.

HOW do I go about this? I know I'd use a pole/rod for against the wall, but what type of thingy do I use for the other end that would hang from the ceiling? Also would I have to make a rod pocket for that end to push the rod thru then hook it? I know I'll have to double the material width, for a soft gather on this.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions and if you photoshop gals have any visuals I can see-it would help!

Comments (6)