SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Making a Christmas mantle swag thingie

melvalena
14 years ago

Yesterday I pulled the garlands out and stripped them down to the basics; New house, new way of doing all the decorations. Its taking me much longer to figure this out than I thought it would!

I looked at pictures I'd saved over time.. and realized I couldn't do what I wanted with what I have. I can not create the look I want with the skimpy discount store stuff. :(

The more I think about it I'm not even sure I can do it with the 'good stuff'!

A friend called and asked me to ride with him to another nearby town. I wasn't getting anywhere with my projects so of course I said yes. On the way we discussed what wasn't working here. After his errand, we checked some shops looking at garlands and 'stuff'. Checking prices and figuring out what would give me the look I was going for.

He's so good at this kind of thing!

I didn't buy anything just yet, but now know what I need and where to get it and who had the best selection and prices. :)

But its frustrating and I don't have enough hands! I don't really know where to start.

Do I lay it all out flat on the floor and assemble then put it on the mantle? Or do I attach it to the mantle layer by layer? How the heck should I attach it?? How do you make it bend where it needs to with out it coming undone somewhere else? I did a trial run with what I have just to work through the mechanics of it all and figure out how much I need to buy. It was a disaster.

Then late this afternoon I came across this site, I think after a good night's sleep and some coffee I'll be able to do it! If not, I'll have a glass of wine.. if that doesn't work.. its on to the hard stuff! :) /just kidding!!! I'll just call my friend to come help me!

After thinking about what I saw on that site I did a few google searches.. didn't come up with anything better than the site below, but did come across one place where they said to get a board the length and width of your mantel and build it on that, then lay the board on your mantle so you don't have to attach directly to the nice wood mantel and possibly damage it.

For those of you facing the same dilemma check this out,

or if you know of another way to do this, please tell! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: christmas-mantle-swag-tutorial

Comments (18)

Sponsored
More Discussions