SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommy2two_gw

Clueless!

mommy2two
16 years ago

I'm new here, and am getting married April 19th. So I have a little less than 2 months to plan. We're having a VERY small wedding, probably less than 15 people. This is my 3rd marriage, his first. I've never had a wedding though, both times married by a JOP.

I have a 2 and 4 year old from a previous marriage. We're going to have my 2 year old daughter be the flower girl, and our 4 year old daughter be the ring bearer (I know, not traditionally a girls role, but I want her to have an important part).

I'm basically clueless, and we're trying to do the wedding for under $1000, since we're footing it ourselves. My boyfriend's parents and family will not be present, as they are not on speaking terms with us (long story short, we used to live in another state about 10 minutes from their house but they kept trying to break us up. They didn't like the fact that I have two kids already, I'm "ruining" their sons life, blah blah blah. Basically my boyfriend got sick of the drama, broke up with me. I came home to TX, and two weeks later he packed up and moved down here). So no family from his side going to be there. Sad, but what can you do?

Anywho, since we're doing it ourselves, I have NO idea what I'm doing. We've already booked the room, my BF works at a HUGE church, so we're doing it there in the baptism room. It's beautiful, has a waterfall and fountain, and seats 50. We've booked the photographer. It's the same guy who did our "engagement" pics (not technically engaged yet). The pics turned out great, and he's not charging us for them. He said that we were such a great looking couple, that he would shoot us for free if he could use the pics in his portfolio. We've set up a cake testing, picked out dresses for my girls. My mom is doing the floral arrangements (she took classes for it) and doing any alterations I may need, and possibly doing my dress too (she worked in sewing and tailoring for 30 years). My boyfriend is a designer, and is designing our invites. So we're doing a LOT of the things ourselves. My boyfriend's boss is a preacher, and is marrying us for free.

Thing is, I'm to a point where I don't know how the ceremony/reception goes, so I don't know how to plan, or where to go from here.

I'm clueless to what kind of dress to wear. We're planning on renewing our vows and having a bigger wedding in the future. Is it appropriate to wear a huge dress? At first I was thinking a simple white springtime dress, and now I don't know. BF wants me to wear a veil, cause he wants to do the whole "lift the veil and kiss" part. Honestly, I don't want to wear a veil. I figure, I'm paying for a photographer, why do I want a veil in my face? Plus, I feel like I'm going to be "missing" out on the whole ceremony if I have something covering my face the whole time.

Does anyone have a run down of how a ceremony goes? We're going to incorporate a sand unity part too. Reception is going to be simple, cake and deli sandwiches. No dancing, nothing fancy. When do we get our pics done? I figure pics won't take too long, since we're not having a wedding party.

I know it's a LOT of questions. I just feel like a chicken running around with my head cut off, and two months seems so short.

Comments (12)