SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessegirl_gw

My DH is starting to crack

jessegirl
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been reading and posting here for a little while, and I'm finding this group to be so supportive, and helpful. I could use some help.

There is a lot of background on my story, and it would take forever to give you all the rundown. So I'll give you what I can, and fill in the blanks as necessary. Basically, my DH has 2 sons. One lives with us, and the other with their BM. We have one because CPS removed him over 3 yrs ago. BM was physically and emotionally abusing him. The other son was not removed because he wanted to stay with her, and it appeared as though he wasn't being physically abused. Although we're not happy about him being there, there is nothing we can do. We had a GAL, and it came down to it being more deterimental to remove him, than to let him stay in their opinion.

BM has a long history of abuse against the son that is with us, other members of her family (domestic violence) my DH, and me. She is very volitile. She has been arrested on Assault and Battery against my SS, my DH, and me. She ended up pleaing out, because at the time, she had seemed to have things under control, and she had been working on her relationship with her astrainged son. We felt that sending her to jail would not be in the best interest of the children at that point in time, since things had been going relatively smooth for about 6 months. (this was about 3 yrs ago)

Since we each have custody, we've worked really hard to work with her as best we can over the years. She is highly unstable, and can turn emotions on a dime. From calm to hysterical and threatening in seconds. We go through periods of calm, and then she explodes, and begins a cycle of harassment via phone or email. Then it blows over, and she acts like nothing has happened.

There have been so many issues over the years, that I can't even count them. My DH has maintained his composure, and been more than patient in dealing with her. He has been raked over the coals emotionally and financially.

The latest has just finally sent him over the edge. He's always maintained communication with her over the years for the sake of the boys. But, this last episode has gotten him to finally realize that her main goal in life is to stick it to him any way she can. He has cut off all communication with her except for matters of urgency (medical emergencies, etc) and for pick up and drop off. The boys are teenagers now, and even though it would be ideal to keep the lines of communication open with her, it's really not possible at this point in time.

She is the kind of person where nothing you can do is right. She is mean spirited, critcial, violent, abusive, and selfish. There is no reasoning with her.

DH and I spoke briefly this afternoon, and he said something that I've never heard him say before. He said that his hate for BM is starting to outweigh his love of the children. He is a kind, loving, compassionate and very generous man. This has taken it's toll on him. For him to say that, makes me so sad. I know how much he loves his children. He is an involved father who always puts his children first. He has never said anything like this in the past. I understand where he is at emotionally, becuase this situation has taken it's toll on me as well. I would love to hear some suggestions of how to help him out. I would like to see him go to counseling, but he can't afford it right now. He is financially in debt, and can't afford his part of the living expenses as it is. I would pay for it myself, by I can't afford it either due to his situation ( I have to pick up the slack in expenses as it is). What are others in this situation feeling and doing to make it through?

Comments (7)