SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amharris

Flooring suggestions? Hardwood, tile or other?

Anne Harris
10 years ago

Hi everyone! Hoping to get some opinions on this one.....

We are part way through a remodel of a second home. Cabinets, counters, and most appliances in. Haven't selected backsplash or paint yet. The floor is my current dilemma.

This house is a mid-century modernish house in No Cal (I've been told it's prairie style...). We have great views from the back of the house, and intend to make much of the back of the house glass. The first two pictures below show the current state of the remodel. The wood floors are in really bad shape, and need to be refinished. They are nice wide oak planks (which is fine), but what I don't love is that they are grooved on the sides. I could probably learn to live with the grooves if we refinish them but, before we make a decision I'd like your opinions on some options.

The third picture shows what we are planning to do with our south-facing wall. We want to put in the floor to ceiling window doors that stack off to the side when you open them, enabling you to essentially have the deck as part of the kitchen. Although this picture shows a different surface for the deck versus the kitchen, I've seen other pics with both the inside and outside floor areas made of the same material that looked really cool.

What I've come up with are the following options:

1) Refinish the wood in the kitchen and dining room and choose a different material for the patio (tile, Ipe wood, etc)

2) Replace the kitchen floor (which goes into the dining room (partially visible in the picture) and the foyer with a tile (wood look tile or other tile), slate/stone, or ipe wood--and continue that material out onto the deck.

Reactions? Ideas?? Thanks-I always love reading everyone's opinions and ideas on this forum!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)