SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vistajpdf

friend's ordeal

vistajpdf
17 years ago

A good friend of mine found out last summer that her husband was having an affair. After their marriage counselor told her to move him right back into their home to have any chance of reconciling, she did. They tried to have a few dates to rekindle the romance, but he was staring off and she asked why. "I can't get the other woman out of my head - she's like a drug that I'm addicted to." That was the end. This couple has never dated any others prior to falling in love, in case it's pertinent, as they were H.S. sweethearts, went to college together, etc.

After being separated 6 m. the husband asked the child psych. if it was OK to introduce the kids (boy, 4, girl, 7) to the gf. Ch.ps. said, "No, it's too early." Husband did it anyway and last night, at a school party, I noticed the husband dropping off the daughter then leaving w/ a little girl and the son I know.

Some of us moms went to eat while the 1st graders were at the party. Mom going through the divorce was one of them. I asked about the girl w/ her soon to be X. She said, "It's the gf's DD."

I then learned that he stills lives w/ his parents, where he went when the marriage broke up, but stays w/ the gf most nights, EVEN WHEN HIS KIDS VISIT!

I'm appalled to say the least. And, he sleeps in the woman's bed, while the 3 kids share her DD's bed.

I find this highly inappropriate and wondered if you all had any experience w/ this or advice for my friend. She is a lovely woman, 34, both inside and out. She's trying not to drill the kids at all, not appear displeased or anything.

I'm angry because this gf lost her previous job tending bar for hitting on married men. Now, she has sunk her claws into my friend's husband and we just learned that the little girl's bio father recently passed away, so she's looking at her mom's bf as her new daddy. The ch. psy. is worried about their dd feeling some jealousy or like she's being displaced.

Personally, I don't like when gfs or bfs are introduced to the kids unless the couple is committed to being together in 5, 10 and 15 years from then.

Any suggestions for my friend? She's hurt, trying to take the high road, etc. Since he's only w/ his kids about 6 nights/month, couldn't a custody agreement specify that he gets an apt. and houses his kids there - W/O GF OR GF's DD?

Is that unrealistic?

Dana

Comments (4)