SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corilynnew

new step-children

corilynnew
17 years ago

My husband and I were married last December (Christmastime wedding). He has two children from his previous marriage whom I've met and like. They live with their mother in another state for most of the year but I've accompanied my husband and his kids on vacations as well as spent time with them for small periods when they've visited. But this summer will be kind of a test for all of us. The kids (a 5-yr-old girl and a 4-yr-old boy) will be coming to our house for about six weeks. I really want to do right by them as a stepmom. I've enjoyed being around them for the times I have but I tend to get a little antsy after about a week. Part of it is that I'm just not used to having children around for too long. I like my free time and my admittedly very clean house and kids at that age just don't really allow you to have either. My husband has asked me many times before if I'm OK with this arrangement and even though I say I am, I'm not sure how I'll be while it's happening. I want to stress again that I like these kids (I want to love them and vice versa but know this will take some time) and want to include them wholeheartedly in my life. I'm very appreciative of any advice on how to compromise my normal comforts without feeling like I'm under invasion, which might cause me to resent the kids and my husband.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio