SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

High End Reno of Tiny Kitchen - Impossible Task??

hobokenkitchen
14 years ago

We are buying a new house and the only part of the house we don't like is the kitchen.

I know what I would like to do, but I think we may be flirting with an impossible task. : (

The house is a row home, which narrows near the back, so we have a tiny space to work with. The current owners maximized the layout by adding a wall between the dining room and kitchen to put the fridge on.

They also attempted to get in a lot of light by adding windows, but imo were unsuccessful in this, as the windows are in odd places and are odd sizes, not balancing with the kitchen at all.

My master plan which I recognize may not be possible, would be to:

1: take out the wall with the fridge on it, to open the kitchen to the dining room and give a front to back line of sight through the house.

2: Put more and larger windows along the back wall.

3: Move the upper cabinets to the side wall along with the fridge.

4: Add a penisular for work surface and additional storage underneath between the dining room and kitchen.

We are looking to go pretty modern as the house is very modern, and will probably go with the 30' Subzero fridge to gain space. My husband is insisting on a 36' stove which is problematic.

The dimensions: Here's where it gets sticky. We are working with a 9.25 ft x 10.7 ft space.

Here are pics of the current kitchen:

BACK WALL OF HOUSE. WOULD LIKE TO ADD MORE WINDOWS.

SIDE WALL. WOULD LIKE REMOVE WINDOWS, ADD 30' FRIDGE (& 36' STOVE??) TO THIS WALL AND BUILD IN PANTRIES/ LONG UPPER CABS ON THIS WALL FOR STORAGE. PLUS SPACE FOR PENISULAR. (High hopes for a small space!!)

DIVIDING WALL. WOULD LIKE TO REMOVE 36' FRIDGE AND REMOVE WALL, ADDING PENINSULAR FOR WORK SURFACE & OPEN SPACE BETWEEN DINING & KITCHEN.

THE WALL FROM DINING ROOM SIDE. NO SPACE TO STEAL FROM HERE SADLY.

If the worst comes to the worst we may be forced to leave the layout alone, and just make the windows bigger, replace granita, backspalsh and floor to better suit the rest of the house.

I would really like to add the windows and open that wall though!!! Can anyone see any way to make it work??

INSPIRATION PIC OF WHAT STYLE WE HOPE TO ACHIEVE:

Thanks!

Comments (15)