SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmarie1985

dreading Mother's Day...

tmarie1985
9 years ago

A bit of background: 2.5 year relationship with a man who has a toddler. Our relationship has been very trying, including a history of infidelity and drama with his ex. I have had a very hard time with the expectations and responsibilities of a "stepmom". There have been many issues with the baby mama, including my partners lying and cheating with her. She has also been rude to me and while we have a tentatively cordial relationship now, I don't care for her much. Anyways, my problem is in how to handle the emotions that have come from being a stepmom. For one, my partner expects me to act as a parent- he wants me to embrace the stepmother role. But, I feel this is more like expecting me to take care of the kid and be a motherly figure while at the same time I get none of the love or respect that a bio mom gets. I asked my partner if he was making plans for us for Mother's Day and his response was "you aren't a mom". I admit, I have veered back and forth between wanting to jump into the stepmom role and resisting the expectations and responsibility that comes with it. I have had a hard time deciding if I want to be the total stepmom or if I'm not ready for that. However, now my partner has told me that basically told me that I'm selfish and that unless I start being more of a stepmom, he doesn't want to be with me. No matter what now, he expects me to be home and "on" whenever the child is with us. I have an issue with the idea that I have to prove myself as a parent but his ex got knocked up and automatically was granted respect and acknowledgement . Also, for the first six months of so of the child staying with us, I was super into the mom role, and didn't even work so we could bond. Eventually I got tired of putting my life on hold for someone else's child, not to mention the fact that I need money and to focus on my education and career. Now I work as a nanny and am bonding well with the kids I watch, which apparently makes my partner angry because, as he says, I "spend all day with them and come home and pay no attention to his child". This isn't true! On some of the days we have him, I literally work from 7 am to 7 pm. When I get home, I'm TIRED. Butt for some reason, this isn't supposed to matter to me. So, basically, I'm just needing help on if this is normal behavior or expectations of a stepmom (although we aren't married)? It's like he's telling me I need to prove myself as a stepmom and don't deserve recognition (like on Mother's Day) until then, but bio mom should get all the praise and treats in the world. And I just don't think this is fair but everytime we discuss anything about this, it ends up with me feeling bad and guilty and him telling me I'm selfish. Help!

Comments (3)