SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Decorating styles in other countries

Oakley
11 years ago

A lot of people here in the States decorate in the style of other countries. French Country, English Cottage, etc.

But do other countries decorate in old Americana? It's very early and that's the only style I can think of right now that's original to the States. lol

I stayed with a family in Mexico and they decorated like we do here but their floor's were all tile since they get it in the mountains a few miles away.

Anyone know?

Comments (35)

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

My only experience is watching Midsomer Murders and other various BBC shows. Love seeing the interior designs. They stretch from victorian to modern. Anything and everything that we are doing here. The main constables home is maple furniture with a white kitchen. Tile being the most used. A lot of really bright colors in medium income homes.

It bugs me when doing a search on items and so many sites come up with great options from the UK or AU. They seem to have a lot of what I would love and in many other types of styles. And I can't find the items in the US. They look well made and have some unique ideas and uses in hardware, fixtures, decor offerings.

Another great thought to ponder. Will be interesting to hear from others beyond my EU videos.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Excellent question, Oakley! I'll be interested to see what develops in this thread.

Our friends live in the county of Wiltshire in England in a thatched roof cottage that is over 450 years old. I would say that the majority of their decor is traditionally English, but they have quite a few decorative touches that they have brought home from their travels around the world. I particularly love the Navajo wedding basket and the little stuffed buffalo figure from Montana gracing their antique English sideboard in the heavily beamed dining room! As you know, I am completely enamored with the English style and find it so interesting because it has a way of feeling unstudied, evolved, and un-self conscious. Somehow it seems, when I attempt to duplicate that kind of style in my own home, that it's not as authentic. Then again - "duh" moment here - it's because I'm not living in a 450 year old thatch in the English countryside. So it's not AS "real" when I do it. ;-)

• Related Discussions

French Country / Country French (?) decorating

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Sharon, I LOVE French Country decorating and there are lots on this board who also love FC. Parma42 is also a huge FC decorating fan. I agree with what the other posters have said about following your own vision. The blue you are describing for your cabinets, along with the SS appliances, and the dark hard wood floor would be sensational, IMO. It does beg the question though of what you would do about your countertops to make everything work together? But that is something that can be determined later. I can't tell you the number of times I've said "I'm going to do X" to my house and my extended family stares back at me as if I'm crazy. Half the time whatever I planned looks fabulous and and a quarter of the time, it's so-so and a quarter of the time it's disastrous. I'm okay with those odds! Not everyone (not even a designer) can get everything 100% right every time. Decorating and designing a home takes practice and a willingness to try things and sometimes make a mistake. It's the best way to learn about what really works for you in your home. I'm dying to see a picture of your room and a picture of the blue finish you are putting on your cabinets! Please post pics if you can!
    ...See More

Does anyone else like English country style?

Q

Comments (72)
    emagineer - This is from the blog Cote de Texas that I provided a link to in my post. Since it's been all about "Something's Gotta Give" I thought that Nancy Meyers' follow up movie "The Holiday" needed a closer look. Just as the star of Something's Gotta Give was the Hamptons house itself, the star of the "The Holiday" wasn't really Cameron Diaz or Kate Winslet, but their two homes, one in Los Angeles and one in the English Countryside, respectively. And in another connection between the two movies, the production team was led Jon Hutman - but Beth Rubino, so wonderful on the set of SGG, was absent for The Holiday. And just as with Something's Gotta Give, Nancy Meyers' personal interior designer has photos of "The Holiday" houses on his web site, but he is not mentioned in the film credits. The Holiday, coming so soon after Something's Gotta Give received a lot of prepublicity hype concerning its premise: two women swap houses for the Christmas vacation and both find love. For lovers of the SGG house, a new Nancy Meyers movie about TWO houses was almost too good to be true ! Jim
    ...See More

Decorating my country kitchen

Q

Comments (22)
    mtnrdredux, I did research limewashed brick and LOVE what I saw. I do think that's a great idea, but there is alot of sentimental value to this house and the brick is one thing I've not considered changing. However, I do wonder if I could lime wash the brick floors?? That could be interesting while leaving the wall as is. I definitely lean toward to the more vibrant colors and rich tones. The ironstone is beautiful..I'll have to keep an eye out for some. - Do you have a picture of your chandelier? I would love to buy it from you if it's even close to the one Annie posted. nosoccermom - the kitchen valance featured on the Forever Decorating blog (her floral valance) is perfect. She told me where to get the fabric and I can't wait to shamelessly copy that treatment. Thank you so much for posting! Tuesday - those cabinets were painted by my crazy sister and her ex-husband (we've taken over the house since they divorced). I wouldn't dare show a close up as the paint job is horrible (drips, chips and smudges). They even changed out the original black hinges, which I love, for cheapy white ones that got paint all over them. Anyway, the original owners had the cabinets painted from the beginning and they were lovely. Unfortunately they got painted with latex over oil and now I've got a mess on my hands. I do think that painting these wouldn't be too difficult if prepwork is done well.
    ...See More

How to decorate around a check couch and not look country?

Q

Comments (96)
    Nice room. Looks inviting as is. Getting someone to do upholstery work is expensive. A local auto/window and interior fabric repair place might know others that will sew covers for home furnishings from whom you might get additional estimates. Like the secretary angled in the corner. Would probably consider removing the kitchen/dining objects and replacing them with items more living room oriented -- framed photographs of places or people and/or other family treasures; then, since the doors have glass, close them. Like the niche near the door with the vertical art. Would want a snake plant in the pot on the plant stand near the window. Solid colors for throw pillows and other fabric furnishings -- unless you have a very specific theme you particularly like such as geometric design or floral or forest or beach. Larger lamp shade for the table lamp -- white for all shades. Probably full curtains or drapes rather than cafe curtains. Use mini blinds inside the window frames for privacy/light control and curtain or drape panels on a wider than window rod that will cover the side frame of the window with your sheer curtains in between or on an inner rod.
    ...See More
  • Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

This thread reminds me of questions like:

What do they call French doors in France?
    What do they call roman shades in Italy?

I'm sure you can think of others.

Can't you just imagine a French new build done up in 1950's Early American maple and the homeowners saying, "Oh, yes, we just love the American Colonial look."

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Sunny, you have to buy a real milk crate to make it real :-)
    or even better, one from your family's barn.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

I believe that a lot of how anyone worldwide decorates has to do with availability. Would people in other countries be able to purchase old Americana style furniture? I doubt it's available many places.

I love looking at blogs from other countries, especially from Scandinavia and other European countries to see how people decorate. Goes without saying that I love looking at old houses in England as those are the styles I really like the best.

BTW I live in a different country - Canada - but I don't think there's really a Canadian style as most of our products have similar origins to the US.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Almost all historic American furniture styles are based upon European antecedents, with some Asian and African later influences, although these tended to be filtered through Europe as well. Early "colonial" furniture is late-medieval European vernacular furniture, while later is from the Chippendale, et al. pattern books.

Federal is an American architectural form, but the Federal period furniture was really adaptations of English furniture which used the Eagle motif instead of the English motifs (Prince-of-Wales) etc.

I think the first American furniture form may be Mission-Craftsman although there is a Spanish influence in Mission and there were similar Arts-and-Crafts movements in UK.

One thing that I notice about European interiors is that Europeans have embraced modernism much more than Americans and mix it more freely with their existing furniture.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

One thing that I notice about European interiors is that Europeans have embraced modernism much more than Americans and mix it more freely with their existing furniture.

That's quite true. I've also noticed, while searching online for self-catering cottage rentals in the UK (and I've spent hours doing so), that a number of the Grade II listed English cottages retain their outward traditional charm but have been completely redone inside in a very high-end contemporary style. I can't say that those cottages hold much appeal for me, but because I have seen it so many times, I surmise that a good number of English/European holiday-goers demand such a thing.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

The first things that stand out in my mind is that I do not recall ever seeing a granite or marble countertop in the UK (I know they are there but it does not seem common). I know my SIL wants them but she said they are very pricey. I saw a lot of marble and granite countertops in Italy. Spain was a mixed bag. I saw the most beautiful examples of fine cabinetry in Italy, runner up Spain and lots of Ikea looks mixed with some nice stuff in the U.K.
    I think that part of decorating stands out to me because my last big trips were right before doing my kitchen.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Luckygal, I'm always amazed how the Scandinavian's decorate. Their rooms look as cold as it does outdoors! lol.

Technicolor, I've experienced the same thing about finding sites in the UK and none here when I'm looking for certain items. Not fun.

• User
    11 years ago

Oak,

Funny you should ask, because my sister in law was just here visiting us from Moscow Russia. I was so surprised but she fell in love with my sea side cottage guest room and loves Country Decor. She spent hours in the stores (and loved Home Goods) looking for country quilts and decor that she could take home with her. She ended up buying 2 quilts and some other things she said she had to have. The reason I was surprised is because I just assumed that she would have been more interested in a more modern aesthetic but she loved classic country instead.

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

I watch a lot of PBS and so see a lot of English interiors. I think SunnyCottage is correct in that the English style is more unselfconscious and less obsessive, probably because many homes are quite old and they expect to live with flaws and idiosyncracies. I love the mixture of very old and more contemporary that I see in English homes and often with vibrant color. The interiors of Paris that I have seen are much simpler, less color, more severe - of course I don't know how accurate these are in real life. Somehow I would be greatly disappointed if I saw American-looking interiors in other countries.
    Diane

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think we get quite a skewed impression of European interiors (Except maybe if we watch House Hunters International, and the house in question is occupied).

We see "interiors of note" in the design magazines that make it to the US. It would be kind of like seeing Reese Witherspoon's house and thinking that's how Americans live.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Having lived in France and Switzerland (40 years ago as a student!) and having rented more recently, I have to agree that most homes I have seen are more simple, but very lovely. It doesn't seem that there is as much interest in "keeping up with the Joneses" as there is here. I think there is more emphasis on comfortable rooms that reflect what the owner likes rather than what is currently the style. The throw-away mentality is also not as prevalent in day-to-day life.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

One style I recall seeing in the UK was "New England Style." I was pleased to see that was no more accurate than our versions of old England style.

I've also seen a smattering of New Mexico/Texas/Southwest styles, as these are seen as most exotically "American."

In Toronto, "South Beach style" has been very popular, quite amusing considering the weather.

• biochem101
    11 years ago

I too have spent a lot of time looking at English real estate ads, and that traditional cottage decor is increasingly hard to find. It's all very modern/Ikea.

They can mix very unusual colors at times. I wish I could find the yellow and purple LR I saw for you! It was a BIG stone manor house on a country property. Like you'd dream of. Then I clicked on the interior and almost died laughing! It was DECORATED with matching drapes and toss pillows and print upholstery. A big formal room all purple and yellow. I think it was in the Scottish Borders region.

They have gone very black and white in Britain lately, but about a decade ago or so pink was the favorite LR color. It amazed me to see it in house after house, then one night I realized the LR in "As Time Goes By" was pink and I'd never noticed. Pale pink walls just sort of blend in behind the furnishings.

I also call them The Land of Pink Lampshades. You can still find those in many rooms. I've never seen one over here, unless it's a little girls BR.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Oakleyok, you must look at different Scandinavian blogs than I do! :) I find many Scandinavian blogs show rooms that are 'rustic and refined', have patina, texture, plants, vintage, antiques, and interesting architectural features. Anything *but* cold. Many bloggers seem to do cottage decor with a Scandinavian twist. While some use a lot of white or neutral there is often color. I find many rooms on European blogs in general to be more 'real' than the staged ones we see on many North American blogs.

When we lived in Europe over 30 years ago we knew one German family who lived in their basement suite and kept their ground level house as a pristine, well decorated show house where they entertained!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lucky, when I get the time I'll do a search on the decorating there. I haven't read any blogs on Scandinavia, I've only seen pictures, and some on TV. I remember everything being so IKEA.

Lukki, that's funny about your SIL! What is decorating like in Russia? I know this is horrible, but when I think of Russian homes I think "Opressed." But that's because of the media and my own laziness in not checking it out myself.

I have to wonder how those in Europe think about our style of English Cottage and French Country? I bet they have a good laugh!

Speaking of the English, I have a DVD on Windsor Castle and I was surprised to see how worn the rugs & other furniture are, but they're still beautiful. Old money, I guess. Old old money. :)

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Oooh lucky - I agree! Alot of neutrals but they seem to use alot of those beautiful pale blue/grey colors. Very serene and calming.

tina

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Oooh lucky - I agree! Alot of neutrals but they seem to use alot of those beautiful pale blue/grey colors. Very serene and calming.

tina

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I have to wonder how those in Europe think about our style of English Cottage and French Country? I bet they have a good laugh!

That's quite alright if they do. I had "Tex Mex" in Devon earlier this year and am still not sure what the heck was on that plate! ;-D It's so interesting how we/they interpret decor, food, etc. It's never quite the same ... but it is fascinating!

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

A while back I met a family from England who had moved here to SoCal. I couldn't wait to see how their house was decorated. I was so surprised to see it was completely done in Southwestern style!

• sochi
    11 years ago

Re: Russian decor lately - (warning, mass generalization here) the nouveau riche in Moscow and other major cities seem to embrace anything over top, whether it be modernism, hollywood glam or traditional French country. As always, trends in France still have an impact on Russian design.

I left Russia almost 19 years ago, so my impression of average Russian homes is somewhat dated. Most city dwellers live in small apartments, and the apartments are often filled with simple treasures, typically antiques. These include fabulous samovars, matrioshka dolls, icons, gorgeous carpets from Central Asia (always on the walls, never the floors) and beautiful Suzanis, also from Central Asia. And books, many, many wonderful old books. The kitchens I knew were never built for looks, only for function. They were small and mighty, but always decorated with art, typically graphic calendars. Lots of photos of family in the living room (which typically served as a bedroom for a grandparent). So - small, homey, with many wonderful antique pieces and loads of culture.

• avesmor
    11 years ago

The only country I've spent significant time in is Sweden. I've spent a few years there, and usually go back at least every other year (DH is from there). I can tell you that they truly do decorate "IKEA" - though their IKEA market is slightly different and they have some different product lines. At least the younger people (est. 40s and below). Older people tend to not have any real decorating scheme because most of their stuff is inherited - personally, or through housing purchase.

Function over form (or at least equal to), and tends to be very contemporary.

Carpet is rare, most of the wood is light and natural (pine, ash, etc.) The most common flooring is either wood or something that resembles Formica. That sort of automatically gave things a different feel.

Down south (where their cosmopolitan areas are: Stockholm, Goteborg, Lund, etc.) it's mostly modern utilitarian, fairly sparse. Up north where it's more "parents' parents' parents' house" type arrangements - truly just this and that. Mostly sentimental things rather than bought-for-cause.

Of course there are exceptions, but this has been generally true in my collective time there.

They really like their white, too. :)

I would say this is a typical apartment look:

Here's a house near where my in-laws live (about midpoint in the country, though it's considered "north" because much more north becomes laplander territory!):
    {{!gwi}}

Kitchens are, decor-wise, where I've seen the biggest difference. Let's just say I've never seen a "Tuscan" kitchen (thank goodness!) :)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Many of the interiors of homes you see on House Hunters International are typical. Having visited a few countries and been in a few homes, 'style' isn't as important as just having a few pieces of furniture, and it doesn't have to match or 'go' as far as color of upholstery. They're not as fussy a 'breed' as Americans, and don't have over exaggerated expectations, or budgets. Remember, some countries pay a tax of 50% of their earnings, but that does include a paid vacation for up to 3 weeks per year.

I have found that most Europeans pride themselves more on their cooking skills and being a good host/hostess, than on decorating. IMO, they don't consider it to be significant in their lives. ;o)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Many of the interiors of homes you see on House Hunters International are typical. Having visited a few countries and been in a few homes, 'style' isn't as important as just having a few pieces of furniture, and it doesn't have to match or 'go' as far as color of upholstery. They're not as fussy a 'breed' as Americans, and don't have over exaggerated expectations, or budgets. Remember, some countries pay a tax of 50% of their earnings, but that does include a paid vacation for up to 3 weeks per year.

I have found that most Europeans pride themselves more on their cooking skills and being a good host/hostess, than on decorating. IMO, they don't consider it to be significant in their lives. ;o)

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Oaklyok I totally agree with you about Scandinavian decor. Cold, sparse, devoid of color. It was not always so because there are many antique Scandinavian chairs, case goods, that look almost French or Colonial. Interesting! They do love their modern, especially in the buildings, the more funky the better. Our city had a huge uproar over a building a Scandinavian country wanted to build here. They got it built and it's so out of place. But they seem to love it. It has that dated look of "it used to be modern" with it's pale green panels and tinted glass and it's not very old and then on top it has this metal sculpture that looks like the top of a pez dispenser. In fact the locals call it the Pez building. LOL

• sochi
    11 years ago

Patty cakes, I have to disagree with you about Europeans and style, that certainly has not been my experience. The French, British, Italian, Germans, all have as much interest in good design as anyone else I'd say. Their taste is likely different and perhaps more subtle than in the US, but I'd assume a similar percentage are interested in home design, certainly if design mags are anything to go by. Homes are certainly smaller, geography has a hand there. Not sure how the tax point is relevant to the discussion.

• oceanna
    11 years ago

Interesting question, Oakley!

In my work to stock the Gallery posts I think I've run across about every decorating photo on the web -- some of them several times. LOL. I've never seen any "Americana" red-white-and-blue designs on blogs or articles from other countries.

However, I've posted many decorator pictures from other countries into the Gallery threads. Most of them end up in the Cottage Decor thread. Often, the Scandinavian decor photos look quite a lot like our shabby chic photos, except they have those darling "grandfather" clocks and really cute almost Ben-Franklin looking freestanding stoves.

Another thing I've noticed is if you're into Prairie antiques, little England seems to have more than we do.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I am racking my brain, but I don't think I have ever been in a private home abroad.. High end hotels are disappointingly similar, unless you seek out historic spots or small inns. The 4S often are properties with local character (an old prison in Istanbul, former bank in Budapest, an entire village supposedly in China, IIRC). Otherwise, same-o

This is the reason that I like HH Int'l; it is fascinating to see how other people live. I will say this, from what I've seen, locals (not expats) all seem to want the big American kitchen. Not the current OTK.1, but maybe the OTK.0, with stainless, granite and dark cherry cabs.

• sis3
    11 years ago

Jterrilynn said "The first things that stand out in my mind is that I do not recall ever seeing a granite or marble countertop in the UK (I know they are there but it does not seem common). I know my SIL wants them but she said they are very pricey."
    I returned from the UK last night. Many of my family members over there do indeed have granite countertops, marble too. Many of the historic houses have vast kitchens with marble topped tables and counters for making dough and pastry. The Europeans also have access to the most beautiful contemporary kitchen, bath and furniture stores and prices have improved vastly.
    In general I feel that the Brits are interested in interior design/decor but tend to change it less often than we do in the States. Certainly a home filled with age-worn, even shabby, quality furniture and rugs is perfectly acceptable to the British. I detect less concern over there for what others think about their homes, they decorate to please themselves, not to make a statement. Also interior designers are far less often employed by the middle class than they are here. It would generally be considered to be pretentious to use an interior designer on an "ordinary" family house.
    The currently popular big American kitchens are updated versions of the kitchens to be found in all the older large houses and farmhouses in the UK, with their large ranges, stone counters, center islands and pantries.

• User
    11 years ago

Oak, Sorry, I'm late getting back to this party...my SIL was amazed at the decor in our home (though it's simple and nothing over the top). Like Sochi says, it is different there, we are so lucky in comparison. She has a 2 room apartment and that's all it encompasses is 2 rooms literally, so very small for 3 people. She works for an American company and described their lifestyle as lower income and not extravagant however, we did notice that the material things were really important to her and after experiencing something more organized and decorated, she was anxious to do something with her place as well. We actually talked a lot about how to work with small spaces and get the most use out of it.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I've started subscribing to the UK edition of Country Living and although it was pricey, I consider it a good "investment" as it's a joy when the magazine arrives each month. So much more interesting than the US version, IMO. The English certainly do have an interest in home decor - as well as gardening, cooking, raising animals, and a host of other home-related pursuits.

Our friends who live in the 450 year old thatched cottage in Wiltshire have a large, modern kitchen. With huge blackened beams running overhead that were there back when the kitchen was the stable. Climb up the little narrow, steep staircase and you'll find a landing with three smallish bedrooms, and an enormous bathroom with all the "mod cons" in place. The separate shower is huge and there is a large Jacuzzi tub in one corner. Of course, there is a bidet - something we don't often see here in the states! I loved luxuriating in that bathroom during my visits. Opening the little iron latched, paned windows out onto a field of primroses, and putting on my makeup in the double-sided free-standing mirror in the middle of the room. Ah ... bliss.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

My Swedish friends say that the big, pale, painted Gustavian houses are painted that way to take advantage of the little bit of daylight through the colder months, and to make use of undistinguished but useful old furniture...just like we do here! Those houses were also traditionally lighted by candles and fireplaces, which warm up the pale cool scheme.

I have a friend in Paris who works for the national professional association for bath fixture companies, so when she and her husband bought the top floor of a 1950's modern apartment building, they added four very modern baths, which is wildly unusual. The walls in the apartment are painted a rich apricot, and the furniture is a combination of modern upholstered things and her family furniture, which is mostly Louis XV - very curvy, with ormolu for days. They have three wonderful terraces overlooking the city - and yet their kitchen is tiny.

And my English friends remind me that the country suffered horrible privations after the second world war, while our consumer economy was getting off to a great start. Modern buildings replaced the thousands of London buildings that were destroyed in the Blitz, and in the 60's, Terrence Conran's Habitat stores were the Ikea of their day, bringing relatively inexpensive sleek modern household goods and furnishings into fashion.

What we think of as English country house style was pretty much invented by Nancy Lancaster - an American southern girl, who believed in comfort, and painted scores of English rooms in her signature "buttah yellah."

• bonnieann925
    11 years ago

Oakleyoak,
    People in the US may decorate in a "French County" or "English Cottage" style but it does not always translate to what I have seen in France, England, Italy, Mexico and other counties I've visited. Our decorating styles in the US tend to be heavily influenced by what the retailers push as the trends to be followed.

When in Spain we stayed in a beautiful hotel that was so ultra contemporary that, to me, it seemed cold. Yet it was in a historic area in Barcelona. It's all good, even if not anticipated! In fact, maybe it's finding the unexpected that makes it so much more interesting....

I've never seen any other country try to interpret Americana. They tend to be proud of their heritage and embrace it, which means different styles depending on the country. English Cotswalds means chintz and a layered look, whereas London, being more cosmopolitan tends to be contemporary.

When in Italy we had dinner on several occasions with a family in Tuscany. Their house was very traditonal on the outside but ultra modern on the inside. The kitchen was very utilitarian with all stainless steel appliances and countertops. It was small by our standards but functioned extremely well.

When it England we stayed with a family in the Cotswalds. Their home was traditonal English in both design and furnishings. What was most challenging to us was the lack of screens and the proponderance of flies while we were eating......ick!

We have had Italian guests here at our home in New England. One commented that "in my country the houses are very old yet are decorated in a modern style, whereas here your houses aren't old but are built and decorated to "look old". Yes, so true! He was getting a doctorate in architecture and was very interested in such features as a central chimmney and multiple levels for living.

Another thing that we have heard from many of our international visitors is how fortunate we are to have over an acre of land, yet be so close to a major city.

What I enjoy most about traveling is seeing how others live!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Let me back up~I've never stayed w/anyone who has lived in a large city, such as Paris, only small towns or villages. One that stands out in my mind is Chamonix, France, but I've also stayed in a home in Venice. I visited friends of friends in Copenhagen, also. They are all working class people, and do visit the US occasionally, although wealthy by no means. I can't speak for homes in England.

They're decor is simple, mabe not as haphazard or even shabby as what you see on HHI, but it certainly isn't 'magazine worthy'. It's obvious to me they don't shop frequently, and definitely are not concerned with any trend, American or European. It's simplicity, no silk panels at the windows, usually simple lace panels.

I have to say the picture of the apartment avesmor posted is closest to the homes I've been in~understated, simple, and under-decorated