SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cosmicsong8

Not Da Mama #2

cosmicsong8
16 years ago

I just found this forum today after doing a google search about handling rude stepchildren. I'm so relieved this forum is here. I'm new to this whole way of life and I'm frazzled. And I totally identify with the young lady who wrote the first "Not Da Mama" post. I'm not married to my boyfriend, but we live together. I moved into his place in August and we are planning to buy a home together within a year. So far we have no plans to marry because we are both divorced and neither one of us wants to marry again anytime soon.

Here's my situation...my boyfriend has a son who just turned 5 this month. He's the only child of my boyfriend and his ex-wife. They share custody of him which means we have him about 3 days per week. I wish I was lucky enough to have him only every other week, like the previous poster! But that's not the case. I'm not maternal AT ALL, but I love my mate so much that I was willing to give this lifestyle a try. At first things were great. His son seemed very open to the idea of me being around. He was always happy to see me when I came home from work and he loved to talk and play with me. Lately, things have changed. He's become smart mouthed and even violent towards me and I don't know where this is coming from. For example, on his birthday his dad gave him a card from him and me. He said to me "why did you put your name on the card? I only want my mommy and daddy's name on my card" (he only does this kind of thing when his father isn't around by the way). And several weeks ago, his dad was in the living room talking with a friend so I took the boy into another room to watch a movie to give his dad a little time with his friend. Things were normal at first. We were watching the movie and he was leaning on me with his arm around me which he does a lot (or used to). Then out of nowhere, he stood up on the bed and kicked me in my shoulder! Up to that point I had never gotten stern with him because I leave the disciplining to his dad. But that time, I had to get serious and let him know that is unacceptable. I've also noticed when I come home from work, he doesn't seem happy to see me anymore. He doesn't say hello unless I say it first. And if we're all getting ready to go somewhere he'll say to me "you're going with us?" like he doesn't really want me there. And he likes to say things like "my daddy's house" when he talks about where we live. Basically not acknowledging that it is now MY place too. He does a lot of irritating things to get at me it seems. And he takes full advantage of those opportunities when his dad steps out of the room.

I think his mother's influence might have something to do with why he's behaving this way. She hasn't accepted the idea that her ex-husband has gotten serious with someone else and I'm sure she says negative things to the boy because that's her nature from what my boyfriend has said.

But anyway, I've told my partner about his son's behavior lately and he seemed surprised, but not like he's necessarily in any rush to say anything to his son. I think it's up to him to nip this in the bud, but I don't think he's taking how this makes me feel seriously enough. I love my boyfriend, but I don't want to be subjected to rude behavior and violence from his son because he's mad that his "mommy and daddy" aren't together anymore. He takes it out on me and I'm just getting tired of it. And he's only 5! I'm terrified of what it's going to be like when he gets older. Any comments? I REALLY love his dad. I'm 37 years old and this is the first relationship I've had where I've felt like I'm truly with the perfect person for me. So I want to try to make this work. But I'm NOT maternal as I said earlier and this little boy is starting to drive me crazy.

Comments (6)

• proserpina
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

CS8, your intuition is probably right, the child's reactions are probably fueled by his mother. I went through the same exact thing with my step-children where we enjoyed a lengthy honeymoon phase and then MAJOR attitude started happening (they are a bit older so I never got kicked if not only verbally).
    That said, I also know that after the honeymoon, reality set in, the reality that mom and dad weren't getting back together... and as much as they "understood" it, the hurt of it began to manifest and who else better to take it out on than the person that mom doesn't like?

Discipline is a hard thing, somewhere we step-figures were told that only the bio-parent should really address issues... However, I do think that in order for things not to escalate, they need to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. I think it's great that you were able to do so with the tyke! I think it is very important that children don't see the adults in their lives as wishy-washy or simply passive when they are misbehaving, otherwise they are going to push that "inappropriate" behavior as far as possible (knowing perhaps that they can get away with murder if dad isn't there to take action).

I LOVE my husband. I absolutely adore him... but sometimes I think he just doesn't get it. I took MANY MANY MANY conversations before he understood that he and I had to be a united front when it came to intervention and that he too had to let his children know that "inappropriate" behavior just isn't acceptable (and I keep putting inappropriate" in quotation marks because there are so many degrees of misbehaving).

3 years later? I am now entering the phase where the children are growing up and testing their boundaries for their own reasons... But I love them and they love me. Sure, every once in a while they will try and get away with things, but at this point it has little or nothing to do with me or with their hurt; at this point, I can confidently say that, if they are acting up it because of their age.

I guess what I would say is:
    1. Hang in there. You don't have to be maternal to get along or even love that child.
    2. Hang in there. Talk to your boyfriend... and if he doesn't get it, keep on talking to him. I think my husband got it when he SAW how it was wearing me down, even the fact that he wouldn't HEAR what I was telling him.
    3. Reading helped me maintain my sanity... and not just reading fiction to evade the situation but reading up on step-children and step-mothers. Not sure if that would be your cup of tea, but places like this are REALLY helpful. You take what works for you and drop the rest...
    4. TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF. If you are feeling good, I'm sure it'll be a lot easier to stay cool and collected... I can't stress how important this is! It's absolutely overwhelming to be in the position you (I, we...) are in; but have faith that due diligence things will get better.

You have all my empathy......

• vistajpdf
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I feel for you. I think you're doing well to be able to voice your opinion to your bf.

I assume you are in this relationship for the long haul. I would hate to think that his father has introduced other gfs to him, perhaps confusing him? It could be that others have come and gone and he fears you'll do the same. But, I'm betting that the BM is the culprit, as you suspect. It's so sad that adults can't just be adults. My DH's ex used to make her children feel as though any pleasant behavior shown to me was equivalent to them being disloyal to her. Is this a woman you or your bf can talk to? Is she reasonable at all?

I wish we had all gone to a family counselor early on. We didn't and our problems were brushed under the rug and never really solved. I bent over backwards to please my steps and basically have been stepped on by them over and over again. There's a cordial awkwardness w/ us and sometimes I'm not sure if that's better or worse than before!

Keep communicating, but don't cite specifics about your bf's son as it will be viewed as an attack against him. And, most parents get their protective feathers ruffled and go into DEFENSE if they perceive any sort of attack on the child! Just say how you feel throughout it all and see if your bf would go to a therapist w/ you and maybe w/ his son, too. You're a little lucky in that he is young and you have time to forge a relationship and he will see you for who you are. My steps were 12, 14, and 16 when we married so it was a horrible time to walk into the picture.

You could always use the son's visitation for time for yourself. But, avoiding the situation won't really help things as I have found. And, you want to be closer to your bf, not more distant and while they might want some alone time each week, you disappearing each time the child appears may make him uncomfortable.

Good luck, keepposting,
    Dana