SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnygardenerme

Let it go, but how? (Adult stepkids)

sunnygardenerme
16 years ago

Hello to everyone. Well went to DH's family reunion yesterday and SS was wearing DH sweater that we had been looking for over the last few months. DH and myself had been trying to find this sweater for the last 2-3 months. He had just taken it out of our house without asking. Over the last 6 years I have had numerous items (some expensive, some not) missing out of our home and have never found them. I always had a feeling, intuition, etc. the 2 adult stepkids were the ones taking the items without asking but never had proof. Yesterday just confirms my intuition. About 2-3 months ago (around same time the sweater disappeared) my nice tote bag and favorite expensive jacket went missing and to this day I can not locate them. I feel SS may have took them and given to his girlfriend or his mother. SS happened to stay in our home around that time while we were not home.

This all just makes me angry and everytime I look at SS I feel he steals from us/me. I resent him for it and feel he is getting away with stealing which is sooo wrong. If I mention to DH about things missing he feels I have just misplaced them and will find them. He only would get terribly mad and angry at me if I suggested SS may have taken the items.

With the sweater husband just blew it off yesterday and said SS must have liked it (refering to the sweater). I don't care if he takes DH things, that is DH problem, but when he takes my things it makes me mad, frustrated, anxious, etc. It makes me not want him or either stepkid in my house alone. Of course I never see his mother and seldom see his girlfriend so I will probably never see them wearing or using my things.

Side note: The other adult stepkids - the SD used to also take my/our things and never ask. She does not come around as much because she has moved further away. When she does come we are always home so items do not disappear as frequently as they use too.

Has anyone on this site exprienced this? My question to all of you is what should I do? 1) Let it go, even if I would like my items back and it is wrong to steal. 2) Confront SS, even if in the past I have asked him and he denies it. Then he goes to dad and excuses me of calling him a lier and thief. 3) Get DH involved, even if he gets terribly angry at me and he resents me for thinking such a thing. 4) Any other suggestions?

And if I should just let it go, how do I do this without feel resentment towards my stepkids? This has made me not want them alone in our home and DH does not understand this. I do not trust them one bit.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville