SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

CLEAR window film vs. solar shades?

texasgal47
11 years ago

I just posted this question on the Windows Forum but thought I might get a better response here. I live in a 1500 sq.ft. patio home in Houston. My family room windows have direct sunlight in the winter from morning until noon. The primary problem is UV protection of the furnishings. I want clear glass for the remainder of the day as that room needs as much light as possible. My windows are single pane, and replacement is not an option at this time. Today I called a company that installs Geoshield clear window film (IR-70). Their quote was $10/sq.ft. installed for my two windows and patio door for a total of $1000. I could go with solar shades but don't relish the thought of daily raising and lowering, esp. on the patio door. Has anyone used this product or one similar? I'm wondering about the physical appearance inside and out. Also wonder if it would darken the room some when the light is not direct. Finally, I could go from 2 ml. to 4 ml. for some hurricane and security protection. Samples are being sent but any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments (8)