SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcubana

Feeling Drained!

dcubana
16 years ago

Spoiled children never accept that they are responsible for their own misfortune, should something unpleasant occur they will invariably find someone else to blame; "He pushed me", "She made me so upset I knocked over the vase"....

inevitably teaching children that they are blameless creates irresponsible and dependent adults who blame others for all unwanted results. They usually try to avoid responsibility, endlessly complain, blame others, tell lies and avoid the consequences of their actions and demand or manipulate other people to do for them what they will not do for themselves.

By remaining locked into their victimized "explanations", they becomes helpless to change a situation or attitude, while they pour their energy into complaining and anger, and other misdirected activities that can't resolve their issues.

I am dealing with this problem with my 10 year old twin Stepchild. He will lie about stupid, insignificant things all the time and although he isn't aggressive toward the other kids, he will occasionally "hit first". When he is disciplined he will try to "excuse" his behavior by saying that "they" were "about to" hit him.(basically self defense against a "perceived" threat ) My biggest problem with him is not that he gets defiant, or disrespectful-he will just whine endlessly and play the victim to avoid taking responsibility!! Like tfor example. tonight, he "lied" about having used "soap" to take a bath. When I asked him where it was, he said he had put it by the sink. I thought it was odd because why would he take the bar of soap out of the tub and put it by the sink? When I picked it up, it was totally dry. So I asked him again, except I told him to "think about it and tell me the truth" and he whined: "I did use soap mom!" So I asked, so why is the bar of soap dry?" Now he started to look panicked, bursts into tears and yells: "okay, mom I made a mistake, like you said nobody's perfect,! (notice how he tries to use things I say against me) I used the conditioner to take a bathÂ" Long story short-He was sent to his room, and had an early bedtime. The whole time he was in there whining, and moaning about how he "hates being in his room" I told him to hush up because he would be in his room till bedtime if he didnÂt. He whined some more!!! and adds..."Mom why are you so mean to me all the time?" I totally ignored the comment and left the room because if I hadn't, I would have lost it. He then continues to mumble...I stood by the door and overheard." I have such a miserable life, I just hate my life. Everyone hates me..." Then he calls me over and tells me he "learned his lesson" and he isn't going to lie to me ever again. ÂOh and this time he "really means it" So how about the other 10 times you promised not to lie Chris, those you didn't mean?" So how do I know that "this time" you are being honest? To which he responds...I really mean it this time MOM!!....(more whining and crying.....)It was bedtime at that point, I just couldn't deal with him anymore tonight.

Since he sees himself as the "victim", instead of taking steps to help himself, he lobbies against others, looking for supporters to help justify his anger and blame. Its like he's hardened his heart against others, making his world more antagonistic and combative.

Since he truly believes that his problems are caused by "other people", he hopes they'll be resolved by other people. He passively waits for a rescuer, in the form of a parent, a teacher, a neighbor or anyone who will pull him out of his circumstances. Since he has no control over the rescuer, he remains trapped in the situation, firmly entrenched as the helpless "victim".

He lies about practically everything, its like he doesn't know the meaning of honesty! His excuse for lying is that he is "afraid he'll get in trouble" if he tells the truth. Yet he continually gets "in trouble" for lying!!! Then when he "is" disciplined, he starts with "everyone is so mean, my life is miserable...bla bla bla".The whole situation is transferred toward trying to get me to feel "sorry for him" and give him one more chance....God, he is draining me. After almost 2 years of therapy, you'd think he would know better by now? He's a super-sweet little boy, but dealing with him is a constant uphill battle.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!