SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

It Is Getting Too Hot For Me!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

Y'all, doesn't it seem like all we did in April and May was wait for the rain to stop falling, the ground to dry up and the cold nights to just hurry up and go away? Of course, we worked around those conditions the best we could, but still......

Here we are in June and now it is too hot to garden comfortably, and it is still fairly early in the month. I am not even complaining about the tempertures so much as the heat index. This week, our daily highs have mostly been in the low 90s to mid 90s, but our heat indexes have been in the upper 90s to low 100s. Yesterday our heat index was 108 which explains why it felt so hot here. After a couple of years of drought with VERY low humidities, I think I had forgotten how miserable very high humidity can be.

Beginning yesterday, I guess, and continuing through most all of next week, our heat index numbers here in southern OK are supposed to be in the 105-110 range. It is really easy to get overheated when it is that warm.

This morning, I was out at sunrise and our temperature was in the lower 80s and our heat index in the upper 80s, and both are rising quickly. When your "cool" part of the day is that warm, it doesn't take long for it to start feeling unbearably hot. I'd put up portable worklights and work during the middle of the night if I could (the guys who built our barn-style garage in 2004 did just that...worked all night and slept all day). However, since venomous snakes are such a concern, and they are drawn to lit-up areas at night, I don't think I can become a nighttime gardener.

OK, I'm through whining about the heat. However, when I make the comment that it goes from "too cold" to "too hot" here almost overnight, THIS is exactly what I'm talking about. And I am doing everything smart....wearing a hat, drinking lots of fluids, coming in frequently to cool off in the air conditioning, etc. Still, by the time I come in around noon to stay inside until the temps drop in the evening, I feel so drained from the heat.

My DH, who is normally a very helpful non-gardening spouse, has repeatedly rejected my suggestion that I need him to build a climate-controlled Bio-Dome over the veggie garden. LOL

Is it too early in the summer to start hoping for September to hurry up and get here?

Dawn

Comments (8)