SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ekcs400

Can't accept that I am mom to my SS

ekcs400
17 years ago

Well,I don't mean to sound horrible, but there are alot of days that I can't stand my SS. He hasn't done anything wrong or anything, but he is 12 and moody as can be! He has lived with me and his BD since he was 4 and he visited BM 3 out of 4 weekends each month and stayed with her in the summer. We had many, many problems with BM and it was always a fight with her to show up on time or at all. She was an alcoholic and drug addict. We finally learned about the addictions after she went to jail one summer and we had to find out where SS was (she didn't tell us that she was in jail and didn't think we'd find out) after she was in jail for a couple of weeks. Anyway, his BM got drunk and took a lot of pills and passed out in the tub about a year ago and died, so my SS is now with us 24/7. I know that it is not his fault that his mother was an idiot. I also know that it is normal for him to be sad about her dying, but it's been more than a year and he just wants to lay around feeling sorry for himself. BM was a horrible person and everyone who knew her (including her father) seems relieved that she is gone. Again, I know that that doesn't make it easier for my son. This may be selfish, but I am so angry that I never get a break from this kid or his moodiness. I try to be patient, kind and compassionate, but I can't help wanting to yell at him. I want to say, "get your bleep off of the couch and stop feeling sorry for yourself! Your mother was a horrible person and she screwed both of us!" I don't say this, of course, but man, sometimes I really want to. Everything that reminds me of her, like the $6500 I am paying for braces because she had bad teeth, aggravates me! I know that my SS senses my frustration and I really don't want to make him feel bad about himself either. I am so frustrated with this situation. BM was so selfish and I can't forgive her for screwing up so many lives. I know that my SS is angry with me and he knew before she died that I didn't care for her. The truth is, I never had respect for her. She made horrible choices with her life and always acted like I was there to take care of her kid for her. She never said thanks for anything and now my SS acts like I am supposed to be falling all over myself to care for him. I have a 4 yr old and a 3 mos. old and I think he is old enough to do alot of things for himself. I know that BM's death has been hard on my SS, and maybe this is selfish of me, but it has been hard on me too. I am constantly trying to help this kid with his grief, but when has anyone asked me, "How are you doing? Don't you love being stuck to raise someone else's kid 24/7? Isn't what you hoped your marriage would be?" My husband is supportive, but I know it would hurt him to know that I feel this way. I just really need some support right now. Thanks

Comments (18)