SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmommy

Off topic question about gift etiquette

midwestmommy
16 years ago

This is off topic because it is not step parent related, but I am looking for some advise on how to handle this situation.

When my son was born we were the typical clueless parents who had no idea how much ANYTHING would cost for a baby. We were stuck in a spot where we had only the clothes for our son that was given to us in the baby shower (which wasnt not much). A friend/co-worker of mine had had a son the year before in the same season as our boy. Him and his wife do not plan on having more kids and he had a vasectomy. He was very VERY generous and gave us all of his little boys clothes that he had outgrown. When he gave us these clothes he asked us to just 'pass them onto somebody who needs them' which we have done. A couple of my cousins have had babies since then and almost all of the clothes have gone to them.

Fast forward a year later, DH and I are more stable financially and are able to afford new clothes for him (we also go to the county kids clothes resale fairs). Everything that we have not given away of bio son's outgrown clothes have been put into storage for when we have another baby. Me and this co-worker/friend do not talk as often because our jobs have shifted and we do not see eachother regularly.

Today I ran into him at the cafe and he asked me if he could get the clothes back. I said excitedly ARE YOU HAVING A BABY!?? he tells me no, but he has another co-worker he works with now who just had a baby and needs the clothes. I was stunned and did not know what to say. To say the least it caught me off guard. I told him a blanket 'yeah sure' because really I am not very good at on the spot situations like that.

Right now I am hurt and offended. I feel like if you gave something to somebody with the intention of never getting it back how can you come back a year later and ask for it back? On the same hand if his co-worker is in serious need of baby clothes I am all for passing them on! The thing is I have worked with her closely over the past couple of months and she is always talking about how she is lucky to have had another boy because she is able to reuse the clothes from her oldest son.

I am not against giving the clothes back, and I intend to. But at the same time I am hurt and not sure how to handle the siutation. I didn't get the chance to tell him that I gave most of the clothes away. Not to mention that what we have left is in storage burried under piles of other baby stuff. In addition to that not everything we have came from him, so how am I really supposed to remember what he gave us and what was given to us by other friends and family?

What do you say in a situation like this? Isn't this odd to ask for something like this back? I have no idea how to react other than how im hurt by this.

Comments (9)