SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caboomer

Help! Baby Shower Gift etiquette?

caboomer
9 years ago

I need some help here as to proper etiquette. God this is long, but Its important to get the whole picture.

I am attending a babyshower this weekend for a very close friend of my SO and I. (He considers her to be like a sister/family, and I have known her for years). Let's call her Michelle.

We decided and budget about $150 for a gift and ultimately decided to buy a handful of smaller gifts that fell under that amount. This was bc I was told there was no registry and I didnt want to buy a larger ticket item without the blessing of the mom to be. So I bought 5-6 smaller ticket items (bibs, clothes, a book, some Honest products) which at this point it cost me just over 100$.

Now the woman hosting the shower, let's call her Jane, just sent out a registry ....literally 3 days ago (that is: 7 days before the shower) and asked us to try and get something off there.

Well, aside from the fact that this felt a little bit rude (the invites were sent over a month ago.. why wasn't anything mentioned sooner or when i originally asked!), I still had about 50$ in our budget and decided to give a look and decided to also pick up a blanket.

SO: the problem? It's a lot of stuff.
1. I actually didn't realize it until I saw it all together when I went to wrap it up. I am not concerned with Michelle liking our gifts, but I am really worried about making other women feel uncomfortable for having gotten so many things, or thinking we had gone over the top. Do you think this will be the case?

2. I also am worried about how Jane is going to yet again react. My SO & I are very careful about what we spend money on, and are very attentive to our finances, but we have no problem spending money on the people we love, and will do so when appropriate. Jane however has made it clear in the past that she thinks we just spend spend spend money inappropriately. (To give you an example: They live 5 hours away and so whenever we visit, we usually sleep over at their house. My SO & I bring a host gift and usually buy dinner at some point during our stay, seeing this as being good guests.... but Jane thinks that these gestures are just us showing off our money). Thus I AM worried that she will also just think this is us somehow 'flaunting our wealth', rather than just seeing that Michelle is family to us and we want to give her a great gift.

Im extremely frustrated because something I felt great about now also feels crappy. So, to get around the inevitable negative judging and side commentary that wlil come of 'giving too much', I was thinking I would only give one or two of the items to Michelle during the shower (in view of the public/Jane), and the rest at a separate private time.

THOUGHTS? Please :(

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida