SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

RunningInPlace Question & Update on Hardwood Floors Quest

susanlynn2012
15 years ago

RunningInPlace, Can you tell me what Species of Wood and stain your engineered wood is? Your floors are nice and light but not boring so that may be good for me also.

Right now I have tried several samples of Mannington's Engineered Wood and I have had no allergies to it ( I called today to confirm they do not use formaldehyde in any of their adhesives) but just can't seem to find something I love unless it is because I am so used to beige carpeted floors with cherry wood on top for contrast. Also putting a sample on my beige rug makes it difficult for me to envision the floor covered with wood. I know I had this problem with paint on my walls and thought BM Bone White paint was too dark but now that it is on the wall, it is perfect for my family room making it so warm and it is definitely not too dark. I guess anything darker on top of white or a very light rug, looks very dark.

The 5 samples I have of the BR111 engineered wood all have a corrugated pressed cardboard attached (not part of the product but part of the display) and my allergies have been acting up ever since I brought the samples into my home.

I had thought I was tired of oak since my bedroom set had been golden oak for about 15 years and my TV stand and my kitchen cabinets are golden oak. I love my cherry furniture and my maple furniture.

But now I am wondering if an oak floor in a light color would have been nice to sample after seeing your floors.

I called about the Bruce Laminate today and they do use a very small amount of formaldehyde in their product so I ordered a sample of what Brutuses had on the floor that looked so beautiful to see how I react to it. I like the shade of Brutuses floor despite them being dark. They are pretty and look real to me.

The BR111 Amendoim 3.25" planks Engineered Wood Sample(Mannington has this species in the Engineered wood wider planks that was very pretty but the other store would not let me bring the sample home and Mannington does not mail wood samples) is starting to grow on me and despite it being dark but lighter than the other 4 samples I have brought home today (I guess I am used to light beige on my floors) it is pretty since it has many light boards in it also and a touch of red on some of the boards. I wish it had more golden and red boards. It does look nice in all my rooms and is interesting with so many variations. I like the look but wonder if I would tire of it. I am going to see how it looks in my home tomorrow in the light and have a few friends look at it before returning the samples to the store before noon like I promised.

The Tiger wood is so rich and beautiful but even darker so I am not sure. Again, I really did not try oak samples but now I am reconsidering.

I also have BR111 Brazilian Cherry and BR111 Santos Mahogany samples here that are both so beautiful but seem so dark but do look nice.. The BR111 Tiger Wood has some darker boards than both of these two species but has some much lighter boards also and is rich, beautiful and interesting. I wonder if I go with such an exotic species hardwood floor would this be a problem if I resell my place?

I want my furniture to stand out and not be lighter than my floor.

Comments (10)