SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Question about refinishing painted hardwood floors

chicagoans
4 years ago

I'm doing some projects to ready my house for sale (next year.)

One of my first floor rooms ("family room" on the image below) has white-painted hardwood floors under carpet. I plan to pull up the carpet and have the floors refinished, as well as pull up the tile in the entry and replace with hardwood. There are existing 'runners' or transition pieces of wood that already exist at either edge of the entry so that I don't need to feather in new hardwood from the entry to the adjoining rooms. I have 2 questions:

1) One company said that because the family room is carpeted, the nail holes (for the carpet tack strips) will need to be filled with wood putty, which is very dark. So I'd have to stain the floor very dark to hide the holes. The other company said nonsense, you can use lighter putty to fill the holes and just refinish those floors. Their quote was about 1/3 of the first ($2k vs $6k.) Both companies were referred to me. If I were staying, I'd go for full replacement. For resale, not sure. I plan to try to get a 3rd quote, but what do you think? Is it possible to refinish painted/carpeted hardwood without replacing?

2) I realize that the match won't be exact with the other hardwood floors, which were refinished about 10 years ago. But I think it will be close as I went with a standard stain. I don't have quotes for refinishing the other hardwood areas, but it may be worth it to do them all at the same time. Your thoughts? (Keeping in mind that I'm planning to sell.)

Not sure if it matters, but preliminary realtor pricing was $875-899k with the floors redone (and other updates like full repainting outside and in.) Of course that's a moving target and likely to trend down, but $6k is a relative drop in the bucket compared to selling price. Not planning to recoup the cost of the work with the sale; I'm mostly hoping to make it show well and remove potential objections in a picky market.

Here's a a floorplan if it helps (rough; windows not shown for front rooms):

Comments (13)