SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

Small cabin in Maine - need hugger ceiling fan suggestions

agmss15
9 years ago

Hi all - I need some advice. I am usually a lurker in Cooking. A few years ago I was attempting to come up with a teeny kitchen but I found Kitchens kind of terrifying and irrelevent to my modest odd space. But I remember this forum as more inline with my home.

Some backround - I live in a small cabin in the woods of central Maine. My home is only partially finished. I am doing one of my periodic attempts at moving forward in functionality and appearance as far my budget will allow. In this case I seem to have opened Pandora's box. So....

I heat with wood alone which makes it difficult to leave for longer than 8 hours. I decided to put in a Rinnai propane heater this fall. ( Which is a step on the way to having a gas range but where??) The best location for the heater required moving some plumbing pipes.

If I am having plumbing moved then I might as well have my hot water heater and pressure tank relocated to a closet built for that purpose and put in the plumbing for a future washer.

Since the electrician was coming it made me look around at a variety of unfinished existing electrical projects including a ceiling fan.

So with wood heat moving the air around the house to equalize the temperature makes a huge difference. But my house is small (less than 1000 sq ft not including a screened porch) and the ceiling is maybe 7'6". And fans look ginormous to me. And from what I understand some of the huggers don't move air that well.

All of which makes me realize why the wire has been hanging there for the past few years. I ventured forth to Home Depot today but they didn't have much on display. If I am going to order something sight unseen online I would love any input.

Any suggestions on models or specifications? Brands? Online sources?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH