SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelwa

Small L layout, suggestions appreciated.

chelwa
9 years ago

Hello- we are planning a new build and I feel like the floor plan has gotten to a stable enough place that we can start looking at kitchen layout in more detail. We are looking at a fairly straight forward L with a small prep table. Below you can see my Initial thoughts on how this might work. I would welcome any feed back or suggestions on how to make it better. Windows can be moved and resized. If anyone has time or inclination to take a more in depth look at it I have tried to hit all the points in the Layout FAQ. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Proposed Layout:

1st floor:

• New build so windows and door can move a bit or be resized
  • We are fairly minimal in our kitchen gadgets, dishes, cook ware etc. We currently have ~10 ft of base cabinets (including sink base) and a similar amount of top cabinets but would like a little more than that...
  • We already have a~2x4' butcher block prep table that we plan to use.
  • We would like to minimize upper cabinets with possibly a few open shelves. We would rather have a concentrated large bank of floor to ceiling pantry cabinets as in our initial plan (N wall by bedroom).
  • We want at least a small part of that N wall to be devoted to space for charging laptops, wireless routers, mail and bill paying.
  • We have a rice cooker, toaster, and immersion blender but no other electric appliances. We do have an electric kettle that is usually out but we may switch back to a range top kettle.
  • Appliances, we currently plan on a standard 30" gas range, mid to small size refrigerator (inexpensive). We don't eat much meat and don't buy much frozen foods. Our freezer generally contains frozen berries and left overs we have forgotten. Microwave is optional could be small, doesn't need to be in a main prep area. Vent hood is needed though we are flexible about type. Have considered a exterior mounted wall fan (keep the noise outside) but not sure how that would look/work?
  • We have 2 adults, both of us cook and 2+ cooks in the kitchen is fairly common.
  • 2 kids 6 and 9, no more planned :)
  • We do cook most meals from scratch, lots of fruits, vegetables, squash etc. planned out storage for potatoes/onions/garlic could be nice.
  • Other specialized storage: we drink a lot of tea/coffee and generally have a fairly large selection of tea to store (this currently occupies one of our 6 drawers)
  • We are pretty informal and visitors tend to chat with us while we cook, if they aren't already helping :)
  • We do not bake frequently, pie/cake a couple times a month at most. Biscuits and such more frequently.
  • We wash dishes by hand and we expect that to continue though I have thought a drawer dishwasher might be nice. We don't have enough dishes to fill a dishwasher (we know we used to have one). So a window that you can see out while washing dishes is something my husband would like. I am less attached to it but plenty of light there is important.
  • We don't need any seating in the kitchen since the dining room is close by.
  • Our daughter is short and seems inclined to stay that way so a place for a stool could be nice.
  • The main entry with groceries will be from the W door.

Comments (40)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!