SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erikanh

I don't like KD's layout, feedback appreciated

erikanh
15 years ago

Here's the current layout of my long skinny kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

We never use the dining room because it's closed off and cramped. I explained I wanted to either eliminate it and use that space somehow for the kitchen or open it up.

Her solution was to get rid of the wall and make a smaller one to anchor the corner cooktop about 1 foot out to make the DR larger.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

There are a couple of things that I don't like:

The island seems too far away from the countertop. I think she did this to accommodate my standard depth fridge. She pulled the cabinets out to 30" and planned to recess the fridge into the drywall a few inches (thanks to the GWers for this suggestion). I was hoping for a longer island. We're a family of 3, and I'm worried a CD fridge will be too small.

Does the island seem like a suitable landing zone for the fridge and the microwave? Or is it too far away?

My eat-in area seems a bit small and cramped and I'm wondering if I should eliminate the bar area in the corner.

The DR still seems a little cramped to me. I'm leaning toward eliminating the built-in china cab on the wall between the DR and kitchen to gain some more space. I really need it to be nice so that we'll actually USE it and not waste the space.

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated. I hope I'm not making too many threads, but I'm in a kitchen reno frenzy at the moment.

P.S. I'm also waiting for a design from Crown Point, but that will take at least 2 weeks.

Comments (42)