SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Range + Ovens vs Rangetop + Oven - Thoughts?

drjoann
14 years ago

I need to get my appliance choices to the builder, so I'd like some feedback on the direction I'm going.

At first, I thought I was doing a 36" gas rangetop with grill + 30" wall oven w/ rotisserie + 24" convection oven above. I would primarily use the 2nd oven since it is big enough for most of what I do & would be faster to heat up. I was going to stick either a 24" MW drawer or a 24" OTC MW somewhere. I average about 5 minutes/day of MW usage.

The major driver for the above configuration is not bending over to use the oven. Then, I got to measuring things. The two ovens would be over 55" high. I compared this to my current MW over wall oven & saw that for the upper oven to not be way too high for me (I'm 5'2") the lower oven would have to go about 5" closer to the floor than my oven is now. At that point, the lower wall oven would be set almost as close to the floor as the oven of the equivalent range. Without lowering the lower oven even more, I will still be taking hot things out of the more frequently used upper oven at above my shoulder height. Plus, this forces me to the more expensive (~$200) side hinge model.

So, I think I would be better off with the equivalent 36" gas range. I would still have the grill and rotisserie, but now the 24" wall oven would be above the MW drawer. I see several advantages:

-looks nicer to have 24" appliances lined up in wall rather than 24" over 30"

-the primary use oven will be waist height & much easy for me to reach into

-I don't sacrifice either drawer space or the reachable shelves of an upper cab to a MW

-I get 6" more counterspace

-I will have one gas & one electric oven (we can expect power losses & the backup gen is sufficient to control a gas oven, but don't want to size it to run an electric oven)

-I will have an oven under a hood for broiling larger quantities of fish, etc.

-the oven in the range can fit a full sheet pan (the 30" wall oven cavity is about 1" too short)

-have more space under wall ovens for drawers.

-this combo is cheaper

-the range will just be a bigger bling factor.

Disadvantages:

-Likely to require a bit more bending for larger oven

-Give up the steam injection on the wall oven; however, I think this is mostly to make the electric oven more like moister gas than a true steam oven

-Lose the space under the rangetop for pots & pans drawer, but the island is right behind the range so I still have a convenient drawer location.

I think by writing this out, I've pretty much convinced my self to go with the 2nd configuration. But, I know this goes against the common wisdom, so I'd welcome your thoughts.

Thanks - Jo Ann

Comments (6)