SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trav86_gw

Need advice--long OT post. Any lawyers out there?

trav86
14 years ago

My cousin was married to the worlds biggest jerk until he asked her for a divorce in Sept, 2007, surprising no one but her. The proceedings were never pretty, but lately the situation has become completely insane.

Husband has been paying court-ordered temporary support sporadically or not at all, even though he makes ~$400,000 a year and my cousin is a stay at home mom to their 2 kids, ages 7 and 14. (She makes a little money--@$20,000 teaching music.) My cousin has temporary possession of the family home and is paying the mortgage and other household expenses out of the erratic support money. Husband says he wants cousin to let him buy her out of the house so that he and his new girlfriend, who also makes in the mid six figures, can move into it with her two kids and his two kids and my cousin can live in a crappy apt somewhere nearby.

She doesnÂt feel that this would be appropriate or good for her kids. SheÂs a devoted mother. Her husband is someone whoÂs driven drunk many timesÂnever pulled over, unfortunatelyÂdoesnÂt wear a seat belt and lets his kids ride without their seat belts. HeÂs done several other things to the kids that verge on emotional abuse. His girlfriend is completely psychoÂtakes medication for bipolar disorder and has attempted suicide. (She has sole custody of her kidsÂgo figure.)

The problem now is that husband is trying to bankrupt my cousin to get her to agree to his terms. They canÂt be divorced until they have a permanent custody agreement, which they canÂt work it out themselves (obviously). They were told to hire a guardian ad litum. Husband refuses. He is hoping that he can force my cousin out of the house, so that when custody arrangements are made, he can say that he is the more suitable parent with the more suitable home. HeÂd be happy to let the mortgage go into defaultÂeven though it would be HIS default tooÂand have his girlfriend buy the house out of foreclosure.

He fights my cousin on every little detail and each time thereÂs an issue, she has to call her lawyer or go to court, spending money that she doesnÂt have. CousinÂs lawyer is decent but not a shark. Cousin canÂt afford to change lawyers now (she already changed once.) This is an incredibly upsetting scenario to witness. What can she do so that she is not forced from her home and doesnÂt lose custody of her children?

Comments (18)