SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

OT: any designers out there? what are my options?

kateskouros
13 years ago

our house is almost done. i don't know when EXACTLY but it will happen soon enough. i designed the kitchen and the mudroom and bathrooms and the fireplaces and spec'd the trim and selected the lighting and everything else. before this house i did a whole-house reno of our first home.

i ordered a custom drum shade for a chandy from very fancy lighting store in our area and when owners came to deliver the fixture they asked me to call them so we could talk. they want me work for them as a "decorator". but i'm not a decorator, i'm a designer. i want to do exactly what i've BEEN doing.

i have a bfa from parsons school of design in new york and was an editorial art director (staff & independent) for seventeen years. i stopped working shortly before i had our first little guy and now both our kids are in school all day. last year i spoke at length to an admissions officer at the new york school of interior design and they said they would accept me into their masters program but i do NOT want to go back to school full time. i don't want another undergraduate degree and for so many reasons, i don't want to work for a masters. i don't have a problem with attending non-matriculate classes but they don't offer "a la carte". i could go elsewhere for non matriculate courses though.

does anyone have any advice for me? must i be a matriculated student in order to test for any kind of "license"? what are the other licensing agencies besides ASID that i might be able to test for?

i seem to remember hearing about having to work with an architect or designer, which would be no problem. i have a couple of viable options there, so totally do-able.

i want to work again, closer to home. magazines are dead and even if i did find work i am no longer able to travel. prior to my leaving i was away two weeks (sometimes three) of every month. no thanks and good riddance!

is there any hope for me or should i think of something else?

Comments (11)