SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
immoving_gw

what are my options when buyer backs out last minute?

immoving
11 years ago

We were to close on my house on May 31. We declined another offer to accept this offer since they came with a pre-approval letter from their mortgage lender and made no contingencies on their offer. Some repair requests were made after the inspection. While I had the repairs done, I was told by my agent that I should make arrangements to move since I would have to turn over the keys once the closing happened. Once the repairs were done I was told that the only thing that the lender needed to approve the loan was the report from the appraiser that the repairs were appropriately done. I voiced my concern to my agent regarding the tight timeline (since it was already the 25th and we were to close on the 31st) and was told that I would have to move out on the 31st even if everything was finalized 2 or even 1 day before the 31st. I sold everything (since i was downsizing from a 3 bedroom house to a one bedroom condo) and moved out on the 27th. The appraiser came to re-inspect the home on the 28th. Then, the buyers asked for a contract extension to be signed since the appraiser hadn't turned in his paperwork on time. So I did. Then, I was told that the buyers had to change their loan type from a VA loan to conventional and asked me to sign another extension. I signed the extension. Then the next day, my agent called to tell me that the buyer's loan was not approved because they had included child support as part of their income and it was not a consistent income - NOT because of anything having to do with the appraisal. The buyers signed a rescission forfeiting the earnest money of $3000. My agent says "sorry" and when requested to get copies of the lender's loan denial, she says she's not sure if she can because they forfeited their earnest money. Now, I sold EVERYTHING I own to downsize and already moved out on the advise of the agent. She led me to believe, unfortunately all on phone calls and only a few e-mails, that the lender had "assured" her that the loan was good to go as soon as the appraiser turns in his paperwork. I think it strange that the buyers were so easy on forfeiting their earnest money, especially if it was the loan that was not approved. I have a suspicion that they probably found another place that they liked better and wanted to back out of the deal. What rights do I have? At this point, I want to sue my agent for her incompetence and the buyers for screwing up my house sale and financial situation - no furniture left to decorate the home, declining another offer, having to pay more mortgage until house actually sells, and having another lease that I signed that I cannot get out of. Am I entitled to get a copy of the loan denial and the reason? Can I get the appraiser's report? What documents am I legally allowed to obtain?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio