SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawkiefriend

Unmechanical newbie chick needs advice (long)

hawkiefriend
14 years ago

I decided that rather than eventually fixing our pool's broken motor, etc., we should let it go fallow and turn it into a pond. In the winter (obviously not a very cold winter here in SoCal) there were no mosquitos, so we stopped chlorinating it for months. I started researching pool-to-pond, and wanted to go as natural as possible, and change the environment as little as possible in case we ever sold and someone wanted it back as a pool.

FISH

First we added a bunch of mosquito fish, about two months ago. The kids talked me into some feeder goldfish around then too, and a few feeder silvery fish -- minnows of some kind? The mosquito fish are very happy currently, which we can tell by the fact that they are breeding. There are now hundreds of little teeny mosquito fish. By sitting out there and watching, we have very occasionally seen through the murk a school of goldfish that are MUCH larger than the goldfish we put in (they really GREW!). Once I saw a little school of silvery fish bigger than the adult mosquito fish, so those must be the original feeder minnows, also very happy. Then each child got a larger, pretty rounded goldfish - one a black moor and two are calico fantails. We every so once in a while will spot one. Over the few months, we have had maybe two dead fish (I think they were both goldfish) rise to the top.

FROGS

Some friends gave us some teeny tadpoles and later some teeny frogs who grew from them. These must be some kind of quite small native SoCal frogs (maybe a tree frog?) The newly metamorphosized frogs are as small as a woman's pinky nail. We have a "beach" for them, on one end of the pool, where the water is less than an inch deep, where we have also put some broken pots for hiding places. (This is where the pool cover was, and the adult and baby mosquitofish LOVE the shallow water too.) Then we got the idea to order some bullfrog tadpoles. We occcasionally see the tadpoles, usually with very little tail left and breathing air on the little beach. Once we saw a teeny frog hopping around.

One of the sides of the pool is overcome with trees and ivy and jungle-like growth which hangs nicely into the pool. We don't trim it back any more now that it's a pond.

PLANTS

We have thrown in some floaters like hyacinth. We need more. We are planting or alternately anchoring some oxygenators for under the water. We tried to plant some upright bog plants in water pots on the steps but some large animal kept pulling them out. We have cats but do not think it was them -- thinking maybe raccoons. Yesterday we got our first order of water lilies and planted them in pots on the step.

WATER

Here is where I could use some advice. The water does not smell bad but it is extremely murky. I'd say we can see only a couple of inches. It's green in color. We add to it once or twice a week with regular (chloramine containing) garden hose water.

We were thinking homemade biofilter. We want something that is cheap to operate and fairly low cost to buy. I'd like to try my hand with my kids' and maybe my husband's help (he's not handy either and he is preoccupied with other things) to build a skippy filter.

Our pool/pond is about 9000 gallons. It's average about 5 or less feet deep. What size Rubbermaid tank do we need for a good biofilter? 300 gal? 150?

What kind of pump do we need to run it? I've been told by one of the ponder online supply places that an external would be the cheapest to run, electricity-wise. How large does it really need to be? Does it really need to pump the entire 9 gallons every hour or whatever that rate is? Couldn't it be slower than that? What is optimum?

Does the skippy website provide everything a total mechanical idiot (me) needs in order to build this filter? Do I need a waterfall spout thingy?

Please advise!! I so enjoy reading about your successful ponds and want to be one of them. Thanks.

Comments (9)